Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Youngling
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use Emerald interior from S-W for everything but it doesn’t touch up well.

Any suggestions out there?

Somebody mentioned Superspec at one point but I’ve only used Aura from BM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I usually use Emerald interior from S-W for everything but it doesn’t touch up well.

Any suggestions out there?

Somebody mentioned Superspec at one point but I’ve only used Aura from BM.

Cashmere low-lustre

I prefer it over any other SW paint. My customers like the sheen. I like the way it flows and touches up.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I second the Scuff-X, and I had some eggshell in a bathroom that touched up flawlessly a year after the initial job was done.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I second the Scuff-X, and I had some eggshell in a bathroom that touched up flawlessly a year after the initial job was done.
We’ve been using a lot of the matte lately and honestly it’s an awesome product. Good price point, great coverage and very durable . We have used regal on the same job and the scuff x has performed much better all around. It’s better than my emerald price but then again S-W jacked my prices after I told them the truth about their products.

·
Youngling
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We’ve been using a lot of the matte lately and honestly it’s an awesome product. Good price point, great coverage and very durable . We have used regal on the same job and the scuff x has performed much better all around. It’s better than my emerald price but then again S-W jacked my prices after I told them the truth about their products.

What’s your price on Emerald vs Scuff-X?

Emerald matte is $42.40/gal

I don’t have a Benjamin Moore account but I’m going there tomorrow because I need a cabinet color that can be dark.

·
Youngling
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cashmere low-lustre

I prefer it over any other SW paint. My customers like the sheen. I like the way it flows and touches up.
I’ve used Cashmere recently and like how it touched up aside from when one is looking down alongside the wall.

Price point is nice too. $32.95/gal for low lustre.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I’ve used Cashmere recently and like how it touched up aside from when one is looking down alongside the wall.

Price point is nice too. $32.95/gal for low lustre.

The SW rep told me years ago that they started having problems with touch-ups, especially in certain colors, when they started going low voc. I think the entire line is fairly voc compliant now, but he said that paints like SuperPaint and Cashmere (and a few others I forget now) would be closer to the original formula, and would be more reliable when touching up. I have found that to be true.

I had so many polka dots with a saddle tan color i was using in a Duration I had to repaint the entire room, and have been hesitant to use Duration ever since.

·
Youngling
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SW rep told me years ago that they started having problems with touch-ups, especially in certain colors, when they started going low voc. I think the entire line is fairly voc compliant now, but he said that paints like SuperPaint and Cashmere (and a few others I forget now) would be closer to the original formula, and would be more reliable when touching up. I have found that to be true.

I had so many polka dots with a saddle tan color i was using in a Duration I had to repaint the entire room, and have been hesitant to use Duration ever since.
Thank you for that bit of information. I’ll tuck it away for future use.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What’s your price on Emerald vs Scuff-X?

Emerald matte is $42.40/gal

I don’t have a Benjamin Moore account but I’m going there tomorrow because I need a cabinet color that can be dark.

My local bm retailers are very pricey. I think my out the door scuff x price is about 48-49$. Emerald is over 50.

·
Youngling
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My local bm retailers are very pricey. I think my out the door scuff x price is about 48-49$. Emerald is over 50.

Hopefully I can get scuff X for the same as my Emerald.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ScuffX requires 2 coats to get that durable finish and that product does sheen up with each coat. Easy to brush and roll though.
Yeah, I step the Scuff-X down a sheen. Matte = eggshell / eggshell = satin etc. Although the sheen does - it seems to me (never "measured") - chill out some over time, but still higher. And I don't mind the slightly more than "semi" gloss for the trim. Advance is actually the same way. If I want something closer to the look of semi, I'll do the satin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts