Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After helping many members here at PT with Elastomeric paint and issues they were having with it. I am seeing a common misunderstanding on the basic of elastomeric paints. Since starting a blog, I have started a series on elastomeric, the 1st article being the basics of elastomeric coatings and their 3 common quality charaistics.

To better fit the one researching elastomeric paints, if you have a pacific question on it, please feel free to ask in this thread as other profesionals can weigh in, or you may ask me on my blog.

Ewing Painting Blog and Reviews/Elastomeric Paints

Gabe Ewing
Ewing Painting

·
Registered
589 Posts
Beautiful! Seriously no sooner do I get a lead for my first elastomeric job do I find a thread for pointers. This site is getting better and better. Anyway I've looked up some info and past thread and read your blog. Awesome stuff and lots of great info to be found. I'll be going out tomorrow to look at a four story stucco row home. I believe it's unpainted and that it also connects to another home. So what I'm saying is a line is painted down between the homes.Is this a problem for elastomeric paint? Will that be a future point of failure since the coating isn't wrapping the house? Anything special I should do during cleaning? Can I brush and roll a hybrid or full blown elastomeric with exceptional results. I want to learn as much as possible I will be searching more. Ewing you really know your stuff I can tell can you give me some advice. I'll be posting pictures of what I look at tomorrow. Thank you

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the compliment. I hope to hear others weigh in on this topic as well.

You are right to ask if it is recommended to apply elastomeric to a surface without wrapping the entire structure. It is possible to apply the right elastomeric without wrapping the entire structure. However, it would have to be in the right environment on the right substrate. I will use this question to add to my next elastomeric article, as I would like to address you questions.

By what you described I would not use elastomeric, the heavy build nor the hybrid.

The main issue that would concern me is you have a raw substrate on the structure, in this case it is unpainted/sealed stucco. I am assuming it is the entire surface that is raw. Stucco being a cement product is highly absorbent to moisture. The issue at hand will be where the elastomeric surface meets the raw stucco surface (the line you described).

As the unpainted stucco will absorb moisture, it is possible for moisture to travel under the elastomeric. With a heavy build, it will trap moisture causing the painted side of your line to lift. The strong elongation of the
heavy build can result in bubbles or pealing in sheets.

Though the hybrid has a higher perm rating allowing moisture to escape, the conditions would make the coating work harder than it would in normal conditions, lessening the longevity of the hybrid elastomeric. If enough moisture gets behind the hybrid, it is still possible for peeling and bubbles to surface.

I would recommend a high end 100% acrylic flat paint. Like Sherwin Williams Duration or Vista Paint Duraglide.

As far as cleaning, you would clean the surface as you would for a regular paint. Just make sure all the surface is dry and free from moisture as it is more critical with elastomerics.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah the idea of that coating not wrapping the whole house kinda through up a red flag to me after reading a little bit about it. I've been creeping on google earth to kind of get an idea of what the property looks like before I go to actually look at the job. From what it looks like I'm seeing two houses connected one side unpainted and the other painted. So unless it's just a funky paintjob and he owns the whole of what I'm seeing I'll be recommending MAB Sea Shore with the proper sealing primer for the unpainted stucco.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here's the job.

so I asked the HO what he knew about elastomerics and he said not very much other than that his stucco guy had recommended he get an elastomeric paint job instead of patching his house... I informed him that elastomeric paint is great for stucco and mainly used on commercial building. I explained some differences between high build and hybrid elastomeric paint and how both would span cracks and what not. Then I broke the bad news to him and said unfortunately the fact that this is row home and I am unable to paint the entire building I recommend not using the elastomeric. I pointed out that where there is bare block will be the first point of failure due to moisture seepage and that it would peel off in sheets. I also then noticed that the doorway to nothing on the top floor would be an area vulnerable to ballooning. Then I recommended the Acrylic latex Sea Shore paint. He told me he'd like separate estimates for both. He also informed me he didn't plan on keeping the house.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You did good, it is a bad candidate for elastomeric, you can see the water run off areas and there is to may open areas. Sounds like he just wants a band aid to sell the place. If he does go with elastomeric, you need to write it in your contract that it is against your recommendations, with no warranty.

I do want to clarify that the hybrid elastomerics are used on residential. But that sturcture is a bad fit for any elastomerics

·
Registered
589 Posts
You did good, it is a bad candidate for elastomeric, you can see the water run off areas and there is to may open areas. Sounds like he just wants a band aid to sell the place. If he does go with elastomeric, you need to write it in your contract that it is against your recommendations, with no warranty.

I do want to clarify that the hybrid elastomerics are used on residential. But that sturcture is a bad fit for any elastomerics
I did tell him that the hybrid elastos were made specifically for residential. I'm going to jack the price up on the elasto bid and I'm only going to put it in a letter along with the acrylic bid. I really don't want my name on something that going to fail period. I'll explain to him that a better band aid will be some stucco patch work and a properly primed and painted home at a more reasonable price. He did thank me for all the info and said he'd see what the other two bidders say. i will also explain to him that the only way to remove an elastomeric coating is to sand blast it off. He'd have to be just plain dumb and stubborn not to go with an acrylic paint job. Gabe thanks a bunch for this info. Had you not created this thread I could have been applying elastomeric paint to this home and been up shiites creek once it failed. Instead you've enabled me to know what I'm talking about and steer this HO in the right direction. I owe you brother thank you again. :notworthy:

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need money :rolleyes: I think the HO is mainly concerned about the crack way up high on the side by the window. He says there are no leaks though.
The crack looks like it might be to wide for elastomeric to bridge, being you can see it from where you took the picture. it would still require stucco patching.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was hoping you could tell me if this is the right product for this job.

Three storey apartment building all brick never painted. Customer is complaining of moisture problems on interior walls and would like the exterior coated to help keep the moisture out. I had suggested using an elastomeric paint, but would like your professional opinion.
I was planning on powerwashing and applying two coats of Glidden Decra Flex.

Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have done upwards of 850 elastomeric jobs in my career 95% residential and 99% stucco. Although I have heard of moisture build up and separation I have never experienced it, it is that rare.its a situation that only arises when there's an improper bond between substrate and primer or primer and elasto.bonding usually only becomes an issue due to applicator error or negligence.I sure miss the old days when elasto was a full blown waterproofing product thick and sexy.... Lol
For My application process onto stucco I use a 623 tip and a 1.25" nap roller sprayed until rippling on surface then bankrolled down to about 24 wet mils. Once dry this creates an almost impermeable finish and although the formula has changed drastically over the last ten years it is still as close to waterproof as you can get on a stucco substrate. I have applied elasto to wood siding and T-111 and have yet to have any seperation issues.... To me with the proper primer and preparation elasto is almost a fool proof product.... The only issues I've ever had with any elasto product is transparency with straight white and this was easily solved with a medium fog coat applied with a 517 tip.... Just wanted to share my experiences

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was hoping you could tell me if this is the right product for this job.

Three storey apartment building all brick never painted. Customer is complaining of moisture problems on interior walls and would like the exterior coated to help keep the moisture out. I had suggested using an elastomeric paint, but would like your professional opinion.
I was planning on powerwashing and applying two coats of Glidden Decra Flex.

Is this a good idea?
What kind of brick is it?

Have you determined how the moisture is getting inside? Is it just because the brick is not sealed?

Decra Flex would be a great candidate, I have used tons of it. Decra Flex shell is harder than other elastomeric. It has a harder shell than most elastomerics, a perm rateing of 12 to allow moisture to escape, it also has a high elongation for a hybrid elastomeric at 200%. I would recommend priming for supior adhesion and higher hold out to efflorescence, then 2 coats of Decra Flex.

Another option you could go, is a product like MONOCHEM ELASTOSEAL which is a clear elastomeric sealer designed for brick.

Either one you go with you need to add a sealant around windows, pipes, or any other open areas. With the Monochem you would caulk it after you seal, with Decra Flex caulk between the prime coat and 1st top coat, or before the final top coat.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pinche, Vista still makes their full blown elastomeric called Solotex, Frazee still has theirs and Sherwin williams carries it as well. it special order at most stores, most likely it's at least a 50 gal minimum

1 - 20 of 50 Posts