Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
So many warnings about pregnancy these days.
Do not smoke while pregnant, do not take Tylenol while pregnant, do not drink while pregnant.

Paint fumes and pregnancy is clearly not a good idea. Seems like a foolish risk to expose one's unborn child.

I would hate to be the employer in this situation. The mother is either in a position where she feels she must work, or is unconcerned about the consequences of her actions.
I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to Mom, because she...I mean they...I mean it...I mean that, probably has to generate an income due to a number of circumstances.

As an employer, and if this employee has been an asset to the company, I would have to find a way to accommodate them for the period of time they are pregnant. For example, maybe I could do something like have them do admin stuff such as inventory, sales generation, web maintenance, project management, time sheets, washing vehicles, purchasing and delivering sundries and paint, etc.

After they bare the child, there will have to be another discussion on availability of the employee due to child care, and how that impacts their ability to meet employee obligations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have had pregnant employees. Never any problems. Most work until their 7th or 8th month. If their Doc says they are fine, I don't worry about it. My daughter painted until her 8th month. She stopped hauling 5s around, however.

I have expressed my concerns on her painting while pregnant but she's hell bent on continuing on. I'm a bit concerned if I should be covering my butt in some way. I told her she needs to be wearing the proper mask when near fumes but I'm not always with my employees too. I am going to keep her to cabinet refinishing throughout her pregnancy or basic repaints...any advice?

·
Registered
66 Posts
even if someone worked for free i wouldnt let them paint pregnant my god, I could be potentially complicit with ruining a life
What the H are you all painting with? 98% of what we use is low or zero VOC latex....

Send her an email saying if she chooses not to work during or after pregnancy, you will be fully supportive of whatever she chooses to do. Make is say that whatever length of time she chooses to take away from work, her job will be held for her until she chooses to return. Tell her that for safety purposes you need her to get a return to work note from her doctor stating any work restrictions by trimester if she does choose to continue working..... then follow what her doctor says is appropriate. It's a phone call and 5 minutes for her and you'll be covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have expressed my concerns on her painting while pregnant but she's hell bent on continuing on. I'm a bit concerned if I should be covering my butt in some way. I told her she needs to be wearing the proper mask when near fumes but I'm not always with my employees too. I am going to keep her to cabinet refinishing throughout her pregnancy or basic repaints...any advice?
If she wants to paint, let her. There are like, zero VOCs in paint. She can climb a ladder. She’s not an egg. She’ll know when she can’t. Let her make that distinction. As long as you’re a good boss and let her deal with what she needs to throughout, I know she’ll appreciate you treating her like any other painter. I’ve worked and played a whole lot harder than painting while pregnant

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
organs develop during first trimester.

low VOC is not zero VOC, and we are talking about occupational exposure, not just painting the baby room.

I like the idea of a "return to work" note from doctor. That would at least involve a medical professional's opinion on the matter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts