Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hired a guy that seemed to have experience. I roll up to the job, which he is there waiting :thumbup:
I am spraying and backrolling a ext. I line him up and start to do the things i need to do. I noticed that his masking methods were odd, he had paper and tape (supplied by me). But! No masking machine. So i have 2, i loan him one. So now we are ready to start the fun stuff, i spray he back rolls. He walks up with one of those hallow metal broom handles :censored: SOooo. I loan him mine.
He was a ok painter but no tools. I did hire him but didnt give him the money he would have gotten, if he had all his own tools. I advised him to get his own tools and told him if he had, he would be getting more money.
He told me the company that trained him allways supplied the tools.
If you are a employer, What do you guys requirer?
I like to see my guys be equipped with the basic tools, brush's, frames, masker, drops, ect..
If you are a employee, why wouldnt you want to get your own tools? It enables you to work, for a company and/or sidejobs.
When i 1st started out, that was the 1st few pay checks. I had all my own blades, drops, brushes, frames, ect. Sometimes the owner of the company would ask to barrow my tools, for what ever reason. I didnt have to wait for the boss to start working, i could do sidejobs aswell.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Did you specify in your ad that own tools and transportation was required?

I don't like people using my tools..You never seem to know where the hell they are...If the guy is a really top notch painter,I might make an exception as long as he eventually buys his own stuff...As you know,good help is extremely hard to find.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I hired a guy that seemed to have experience. I roll up to the job, which he is there waiting :thumbup:
I am spraying and backrolling a ext. I line him up and start to do the things i need to do. I noticed that his masking methods were odd, he had paper and tape (supplied by me). But! No masking machine. So i have 2, i loan him one. So now we are ready to start the fun stuff, i spray he back rolls. He walks up with one of those hallow metal broom handles :censored: SOooo. I loan him mine.
He was a ok painter but no tools. I did hire him but didnt give him the money he would have gotten, if he had all his own tools. I advised him to get his own tools and told him if he had, he would be getting more money.
He told me the company that trained him allways supplied the tools.
If you are a employer, What do you guys requirer?
I like to see my guys be equipped with the basic tools, brush's, frames, masker, drops, ect..
If you are a employee, why wouldnt you want to get your own tools? It enables you to work, for a company and/or sidejobs.
When i 1st started out, that was the 1st few pay checks. I had all my own blades, drops, brushes, frames, ect. Sometimes the owner of the company would ask to barrow my tools, for what ever reason. I didnt have to wait for the boss to start working, i could do sidejobs aswell.
Are you even onsite with your guys? or do you just assign work orders to guys and they go and do the jobs and you just check in when its done?

Personally I have no problem supplying everything. But I have only 3 guys going, and myself.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
I currently supply everything. I have considered having them keep the basics on hand.

I am not sure I want to enable side jobs though, kind of is aiding the enemy if we want to complain about low ball, uninsured people taking jobs.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
One of my hardest working employees had no tools when he started with us. Only guy I ever saw who showed up without tools.

·
17,818 Posts
Somebody with little or no experience that is in training should have everthing supplied to him. A experienced painter should have almost all his own equipment, minus some extension ladders and some other odds and ends. No one is going to have all the equipment you have, well most wont.
You should have a punch list of expected equipment for you new hires and you can go through the list during the application process.

·
past my expiration date
19 Posts
Ewingpainting, I think you are out of line expecting your employees to furnish things such as masking machine, roller polls, brushes, roller frames and drop cloths.

A painter should at least show up with basics in their gripp such as pot hook, duster, hammer, nail set, putty knives, 5-in-1, scraper, caulk gun. If he has more - so much the better, but not necessary. The company should supply all expendables, other tools and equipment as necessary.

·
17,818 Posts
Ewingpainting, I think you are out of line expecting your employees to furnish things such as masking machine, roller polls, brushes, roller frames and drop cloths.

A painter should at least show up with basics in their gripp such as pot hook, duster, hammer, nail set, putty knives, 5-in-1, scraper, caulk gun. If he has more - so much the better, but not necessary. The company should supply all expendables, other tools and equipment as necessary.
An experience painter should have his own brushes, caulking gun, step ladder, knee pads, 6 in 1, The basics at least. As far as the tape machine, tape, caulk, rags, stuff like that should be provided.

A punch list of what you expect them to have should be gone through with them.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
What type of hiring process do you go thru?

When we hire a prepman, I provide shirts, pants, basic tools.
Then advance them up the ladder with "bonuses" of hand tools they keep and are responsible for and pay increases.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Our guys need their own tools, but we will give them a grace period of about a week if they don't have any. Times are tough, and lately, we've been finding a lot of our new employees are coming from other trades with a small bit of painting experience. It's kind of a double edge sword: we can expand the avenues that our business can handle and do a lot of extra work, and these guys all know their way around a job site and all about running jobs, but we're also training guys how to paint

One nice thing is that we let employees use our accounts with SW and ICI to help purchase their tools, which shaves a pretty nice amount off of their final costs and helps insure that they get quality tools.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I expect an experienced painter to at the very least provide brushes, frames, buckets, pole, blades, just the basics. I have had a few guys that have almost everything even an airless, this in my mind is not a requirement but deffinetly a plus..

·
Paint Nerd
378 Posts

I agree. Most guys we have hired (who are at least somewhat experienced) usually have a small collection of essentials like brushes, and other important hand tools. We have never required that they supply anything...The hardest part is staying somewhat organized which helps keep all that equipment from slowly disappearing:no:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have never heard of requiring a painter to supply their own tools. If you are subbing to them then they have too. If they work for you you should supply everything. I have never worked any job that I had to provide tools. I bet it would make it easier to find good help if you provided tools. Just a thought but how can you expect someone to buy their own tools when you are probably paying less than 15 an hour. When I worked for a painter all tools were supplied and all foreman 5 of them had company trucks.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Interesting thoughts on this one.

If one is a experienced painter, they should have ther own tools. think about it. " I have 8 years experience, no I dont have tools "
Handmasker$60.000
Putty knife $4.00
Caulking gun $20.00
2 runners $40.00
Extension Pole 2' To 4' & 4' to 8' $50.003
Roller frame x 2 $20.00
mini roller frames x2 $6.00
grids and deuces $10.00
brushes x2 $50.00
A total of about 300 bucks WOW!
I sure am out line.

however I wouldn't expect him or her to have a nail set

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Did you specify in your ad that own tools and transportation was required?
I have never hired any one from an add.

Are you even onsite with your guys? or do you just assign work orders to guys and they go and do the jobs and you just check in when its done?
These days, Both

I am not sure I want to enable side jobs though, kind of is aiding the enemy if we want to complain about low ball, uninsured people taking jobs.
A 500 dollar side job is a legit job in Cali and im not chasing those jobs. I utilize my lic and chase work that only requires a lic contractors.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I require my people to have their own hand tools. Ladders I will supply due to insurance liabilities. Drops I supply, as I do hand-maskers, roller extension poles over 4', etc..

If I notice the guys take care of their brushes, I dont mind buying new ones.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts