Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its October that means firedrill to get exteriors done and then move indoors.

I have two questions for the Paint Talk community

1. What is your favorite primer to use under oil enamel such as Satin Impervo, Dulamel, or Cellutone? We use BM enamel underbody & P&L enamel underbody; there is a debate within our own shop which is better. My personal choice is BM enamel underbody because of the build & sandability. On a small scale we have used the FPoE oil primer (clear base) and that finishes like Satin impervo. Very rarely use fast dry primers; the driers cause problems especially with Hollandlac from Fine Paints of Europe.

2. What is the best waterborne primer to use under a waterbase enamel? We are on a job where we need all waterbase..your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
Are you brushing or spraying? If spraying NC style work I really like agualente by ML Campbell. Very nice stuff.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
John I used about 12 gals of 253 last week on a small NC addition. Really liked how well it did on the spruce- popular mix on that trim package.

Dean has a good suggestion as well, I am using SW kem aqua + right now its another good choice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
1 BM enamel Underbody hands down

2 I'm still working on this. I've used BM advance primer; not so easy to apply , but it levels out great and sands like an oil primer. I also use Fresh start (046) high-hiding (previously known as Superior Primer); dries quick, covers really good, sands ok. I like to use it on new wood; it sticks very well to surfaces.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
It will sand to a powder as soon as it is dry. I have literally sanded one half of a door while the other half was not quite dry. We tend to use it more for a shop primer, but would use it on site work as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts