Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used to use PPG 250 breakthrough but we've been using scuff-x lately. Breakthrough is great but for me the spraying is quite a bit easier with the scuff X, mostly just less runny..ive been curious about some of the newer 2k waterborne stuff but havent tried yet. A cabinet maker i know told me they've pretty much tried it all and prefer the breakthrough even over the 2k's, partly due to some of the accessibility being a bit of a PITA.
I used Breakthrough! 250 for a few years for my custom cabinet business. The local PPG dealer could not survive the Covid 19 pandemic business loss and closed. So I switched to Benjamin Moore's Advance. It sprays out nice and I particularly like the satin finish. But it does not seem to cure as hard as the Breakthrough! Is it my imagination? Or should I drive the extra 30 miles to get the Breakthrough!?

I would note that the other dealer of Breakthrough! has a four gallon minimum and sometimes that is more than I want to buy. The PPG dealer will sell me exactly the amount I need. Also there is a 2 week wait to get Breakthough 250. Breakthrough 50 is available from stock, but is not recommended for cabinet work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
corotech command
Will it level like the Advance? Is there any issue spraying with HVLP equipment? I am not a painter by trade. I am a custom cabinet maker who supplies painted cabinets to customers. (Though some will paint them on-site after installation).

For that reason I like to learn how to use one type of finish and stick with it. I only changed from Breakthrough! because the vendor went out of business. I like the appearance of Advance satin better than Breakthrough!, but it does seem softer than Breakthrough!.

I will check with my B-M dealer (which is a very large hardware store with several branches and not a paint-specific vendor) and see if they can get the Corotech Command. Some of the satellite stores are paint specific but still, not as knowledgeable as the PPG dealer used to be.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My local dealer carries Corrotech Command. They only have 2 gallons of satin in stock but all the gloss I could want. And they have more satin on order.

I will stop by and pickup a gallon and do a side by side comparison with the Advance in the same tint. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I read the press release from B-M. It says it can be rolled, brushed, or sprayed; it had tenacious (their word) adhesion and no primer is required; it goes over metal, wood, concrete and resin (platic); it is indoor and outdoor approved and can be used for flooring paint and it can be applied in temperatures to 30 degrees Farhenheit. In other words, it can do everything everywhere under every condition (maybe it can take care of my plumbing problems too.).

I'm always a bit leery of any product that makes overly broad claims (sounds like a snake oil salesman), but based on recommendations here I have bought one gallon and I will try it later this week.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The nearest Wise Owl dealer is 32 miles from me (about 45 minutes drive time) and is available "by appointment only". So I don't think that will work for me. At that point I would probably go for Fine Paints of Europe. Maybe with wider distribution I would give it a try.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think this is a "dealer" as we understand the term. The woman that owns the company hand-paints old furniture for resale. And she uses Wise Owl paints for her furniture. They made her a "dealer" but I suspect she has little or no inventory. The piece shown below is $1,045.00. From reading their website they brush paint everything.

Chalk it Up Fancy is a mother and daughter-owned furniture restoration business located in Pine Bush, NY. We enjoy the history, detail and quality older furniture brings. It is so rewarding to take unwanted furniture and bring beauty to your special space. Our goal is to create an updated look to appeal to today’s homeowner.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Its meant to be a direct replacement for breakthrough 250
I would think that PPG would make the replacement.

I would hope this is a good alternative. While I did like the quick dry time from Breakthrough!, Advance seems to spray out better for me (HVLP). Perhaps others with greater skills could get Breakthrough! satin to spray a bit smoother. For me, it always seemed to have a bit of texture. But it was a hard finish.

I will try the Command this week.

P.S.: In case anyone wonders why I add the exclamation mark at the end of "Breakthrough!" it is because that is the actual name of the product. I am not doing it for emphasis.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wish I had a dealer near me. 32 miles is not far at all.
I went to their website and found a paintbrush I thought was interesting. I placed an order using my American Express card. The acknowledgment came back showing the payment as being through PayPal.

I googled that situation and apparently, PayPal will invoice my American Express card for 2.9% of the invoice + $0.30.

Not much money, but done sub rosa, without my knowledge. This is the first time I have come across this practice. Strange.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My bad. I left out the hyphen. It should read “Break-Through!”

I just made up some test samples. All, brushed, all satin, all over brushed and sanded 1-2-3.

1. Break-Through! (White, from a previous job.)

2. Command, Simply White

3. Advance, Simply White

I have two coats of Break-Through! down, 4 hours between coats.

I have two coats of Command down, 4 hours between coats.

I have one coat of Advance down, with the second coat in the morning (20 hours)

The Break-Through! dries faster than the Command by about 10 minutes.

How long should I allow them to cure before testing the hardness of the finish?

I am using a Purdy Ox Hair brush for these samples, and it is brand new, this is the first time I’m using it. It has been shedding one or two bristles per sample. I never had that much shedding with a brush before. Is that normal? I am thinking I will have to toss it in the trash. Not a cheap brush either.

I will report my findings when the test is complete. The samples are on maple plywood 3” x 16”.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I really want to compare the Advance, which dries slowly and the Command, which dries much faster. At what point will I have meaningful results?

Re: Wet Mil gage. I thought that was just to determine how thick the paint is before it dries. I was just noting that the Break-Through! seemed to dry quicker than Command.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is white. I would deliver the cabinets within one week of painting. I would not have room for the next job if I sat on it longer than that. So I will give it 7 day’s maximum.

My reason for trying Command was because a set of emerald green cabinets did not seem hard enough when I delivered them. No call back and a sample I kept eventually did get hard.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did note that the viscosity of the Break-Through! was considerably lower and much more watery than the other paints. That quite naturally meant less coating thickness and quicker drying times.

Logically, it would fare less well when painting over an open pore wood like oak, allowing more of that texture to telegraph through the finish.

·
Registered
233 Posts
But we are professionals. I had two questions that I hope to answer with my comparison test.

1. How long it takes for a reasonable cure for Advance vs. Command.
2. How does it look.

For satin finish I think Advance looks better that my previous choice of Break-Through! which I abandoned when the dealer went out of business.

I will allow both the Command and the Advance 7 days to cure and then I will compare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts