Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, just wanted to know what everyone uses for cabinets. Why do you prefer the one or the other? Pros and cons of enamel vs lacquer for cabinets. Durability and protection are mainly at what I’m curious about.
As a professional painter my most favorite cabinet paints are Wise Owl One Hour Enamel along with Wise Owl Primer (stain blocking primer) (No topcoat required..dries in one hour, cures in 7 days, Ben Moore Cabinet Coat and Ben Moore Advanced (8 to 10 ours dry time in between coats) but does a nice job. Just watch for drips. Used with a ClinOng Brush (they last forever and self cleaning, leaves very little (if any) brush marks. Do not overwork the paint is key. Prep is key as well. Clean. Rinse. Sand to degloss. Prime, Paint.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The nearest Wise Owl dealer is 32 miles from me (about 45 minutes drive time) and is available "by appointment only". So I don't think that will work for me. At that point I would probably go for Fine Paints of Europe. Maybe with wider distribution I would give it a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The nearest Wise Owl dealer is 32 miles from me (about 45 minutes drive time) and is available "by appointment only". So I don't think that will work for me. At that point I would probably go for Fine Paints of Europe. Maybe with wider distribution I would give it a try.
Wish I had a dealer near me. 32 miles is not far at all.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think this is a "dealer" as we understand the term. The woman that owns the company hand-paints old furniture for resale. And she uses Wise Owl paints for her furniture. They made her a "dealer" but I suspect she has little or no inventory. The piece shown below is $1,045.00. From reading their website they brush paint everything.

Chalk it Up Fancy is a mother and daughter-owned furniture restoration business located in Pine Bush, NY. We enjoy the history, detail and quality older furniture brings. It is so rewarding to take unwanted furniture and bring beauty to your special space. Our goal is to create an updated look to appeal to today’s homeowner.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I read the press release from B-M. It says it can be rolled, brushed, or sprayed; it had tenacious (their word) adhesion and no primer is required; it goes over metal, wood, concrete and resin (platic); it is indoor and outdoor approved and can be used for flooring paint and it can be applied in temperatures to 30 degrees Farhenheit. In other words, it can do everything everywhere under every condition (maybe it can take care of my plumbing problems too.).

I'm always a bit leery of any product that makes overly broad claims (sounds like a snake oil salesman), but based on recommendations here I have bought one gallon and I will try it later this week.

Thanks for the input.
Its meant to be a direct replacement for breakthrough 250

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its meant to be a direct replacement for breakthrough 250
I would think that PPG would make the replacement.

I would hope this is a good alternative. While I did like the quick dry time from Breakthrough!, Advance seems to spray out better for me (HVLP). Perhaps others with greater skills could get Breakthrough! satin to spray a bit smoother. For me, it always seemed to have a bit of texture. But it was a hard finish.

I will try the Command this week.

P.S.: In case anyone wonders why I add the exclamation mark at the end of "Breakthrough!" it is because that is the actual name of the product. I am not doing it for emphasis.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

I would hope this is a good alternative. While I did like the quick dry time from Breakthrough!, Advance seems to spray out better for me (HVLP). Perhaps others with greater skills could get Breakthrough! satin to spray a bit smoother. For me, it always seemed to have a bit of texture. But it was a hard finish.

P.S.: In case anyone wonders why I add the exclamation mark at the end of "Breakthrough!" it is because that is the actual name of the product. I am not doing it for emphasis.
Well who the heck knows what PPG is doing with their residential paints lines. I really think they sit in a board room and DGAF about residential.

I have 50 or so shelves to shoot HVLP with command here, I'll post some findings whenever I get around to it.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,325 Posts

You spraying Advance with an hvlp? Try an airless fflp 308. Flawless.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wish I had a dealer near me. 32 miles is not far at all.
I went to their website and found a paintbrush I thought was interesting. I placed an order using my American Express card. The acknowledgment came back showing the payment as being through PayPal.

I googled that situation and apparently, PayPal will invoice my American Express card for 2.9% of the invoice + $0.30.

Not much money, but done sub rosa, without my knowledge. This is the first time I have come across this practice. Strange.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its not available everywhere yet due to VOC laws. No issue spraying HVLP, its ready to spray out of the can depending on your equipment. It levels nicely and hardens up light years faster than advance. Also I prefer cabinetcoat over advance. If I want to use a slow drying product like advance I would just use the real thing ie impervo and not a water based imitation.
Do you prefer cabinet coat for dry time reasons or other advantages? I use primarily cabinet coat, but have considered Advance. I’ve wondered if advance is harder than cabinet coat although CC provides a very hard finish. Thx

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Do you prefer cabinet coat for dry time reasons or other advantages? I use primarily cabinet coat, but have considered Advance. I’ve wondered if advance is harder than cabinet coat although CC provides a very hard finish. Thx
Dry time, cure time is a bonus,plus its stupid easy to use. Even the most novice is painter with a spray gun can make it look perfect.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I was enjoying the the ! after every breakthrough

·
Registered
219 Posts
My bad. I left out the hyphen. It should read “Break-Through!”

I just made up some test samples. All, brushed, all satin, all over brushed and sanded 1-2-3.

1. Break-Through! (White, from a previous job.)

2. Command, Simply White

3. Advance, Simply White

I have two coats of Break-Through! down, 4 hours between coats.

I have two coats of Command down, 4 hours between coats.

I have one coat of Advance down, with the second coat in the morning (20 hours)

The Break-Through! dries faster than the Command by about 10 minutes.

How long should I allow them to cure before testing the hardness of the finish?

I am using a Purdy Ox Hair brush for these samples, and it is brand new, this is the first time I’m using it. It has been shedding one or two bristles per sample. I never had that much shedding with a brush before. Is that normal? I am thinking I will have to toss it in the trash. Not a cheap brush either.

I will report my findings when the test is complete. The samples are on maple plywood 3” x 16”.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

I just made up some test samples. All, brushed, all satin, all over brushed and sanded 1-2-3.

2. Command, Simply White

3. Advance, Simply White

I am using a Purdy Ox Hair brush for these samples, and it is brand new, this is the first time I’m using it. It has been shedding one or two bristles per sample. I never had that much shedding with a brush before. Is that normal? I am thinking I will have to toss it in the trash. Not a cheap brush either.

I will report my findings when the test is complete. The samples are on maple plywood 3” x 16”.
Don't use natural bristle for water based products, just use a regular nylon polyester. If you are judging dry times you should be using a wet mil gauge...

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,325 Posts

2. Command, Simply White

3. Advance, Simply White

I would say for personal satisfaction you could do a finger nail test after 24,48,72 hours. The real test will be after full cure of 20-30 days.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I really want to compare the Advance, which dries slowly and the Command, which dries much faster. At what point will I have meaningful results?

Re: Wet Mil gage. I thought that was just to determine how thick the paint is before it dries. I was just noting that the Break-Through! seemed to dry quicker than Command.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts