Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a highly customized 10'x16' cabinetry.
It was built,finished and installed here in Bakersfield by my shop couple months ago.Designed by me with the help of the customer on details and hardware's.
It is built with solid maple,Melamine,Poplar,Hdf.
Finished with SW Alabaster Conversion Varnish,SW Multi Surface Acrylic and 15 degree hand rubbed sheen.
All soft close doors and drawer hardware's are Blum.Handles are solid Stainless Steel.

Cabinetry Countertop Furniture Shelf Wood

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,408 Posts
That's beautiful @Technogod. A piece like that would take me 10 times longer to build than you and look one-tenth as good. I do love carpentry, but it isn't anything I'm naturally good at, that's for sure. Great work!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ! @stelzerpaintinginc.
Took me more than a month to built that monster and another for finishing and installation.
i was fortunate to find a customer like the home owners.I will not say it was easy to built because of covid and absents of materials but i love the challenge tough.
Sir i am here to share.This cabinetry is all about proper knowledge and hand skills.i will help to you guys projects as much as i can.
Just call my name.Turk here :)

·
Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
2,335 Posts
You need to be on Contractor Talk with the specialty carpenters. That is really beautifully done! My brother was a brilliant carpenter and did it all from rough framing to fine cabinetry. One of his bosses would yell at him from time to time: "It aint a phucking piano! Get it up here!" He was a perfectionist but doing hospital work he was the most favored because every window and door he did was perfectly fitted; the boss would bring the other guys around and tell them "It should be done like this!." Anyway, he'd have loved your work! Do you ever get called on to do historical matching?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you ! @jennifertemple .My respect to your brother.
Honestly loving the work you do is the key.Money always comes after(for me).
As i said i am lucky enough to do the work i love.
If i was doing only woodwork i would be so much bored and quit the job already. My work starts at the initial design and finish installing and sweeping the floor at the end.There is always a challenge involved and adventure.
Guess i am the one who loves the journey.

·
Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
2,335 Posts
@Technogod , You know the old saying: "Do what you love to do and you will never work a day in your life", that was my brother and I. My brother could have been anything he wanted and he wanted to work with wood. I once asked him why he didn't join MENSA and he looked scornfully and said "they don't pay you to be a MENSA member." He was an intellectual wiz but he loved working with wood and to the day he died worked and played in carpentry. Two things I inherited from him were an appreciation for fine wood and the flat bed lumber dolly he made; it's now in it's 50th year of use and though worn at the edges still works like the day it was made. Every time I see a really fine piece of wood or use that dolly I miss him terribly! I'm sure he was the reason I became an expert furniture re-finisher. I always loved saving the beautiful old woods and bringing them back to life.

"Loving the work you do is the key. Money always comes after..." That is what I trained my sons to think, as well but with one caveat, "Do what you love to do and try to do it better than anyone else alive. With excellence the money usually follows but if it doesn't, you will have a life and no one can pay you enough to do something you don't like for 40-60 years and you'll never be any darned good at it." I was not going to promise them riches, a living was what I guaranteed them. (It worked out!) :D

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know the old saying: "Do what you love to do and you will never work a day in your life", that was my brother and I
Did hear this saying from you the other day and i love it.Thanks for sharing.
God gives him comfort at his house.Those memory's will always be there with you and you will carry them as a earring and pass them to the next generations.
I was a car audio fabricator and installer before i change my career.
i was young and crazy.maybe early 90's.Was building loud Demo cars for iasca with Kicker.Did work for along time at the processing of Fiberglass,upholstery,paint,wood fabrication,electric and electronics and computer work for mold and skeleton generation along with many other department.I built for Alpine,Mercedes and many other European company's cars,vans and diesel pushers.
After i move to States i met my professor at the college and he changed my mind to be a home cabinetry guy and here i am.
After 10 years of this business i know he was right.Wood was always the main reason to work for the other departments.
Don't misunderstand please i love painting but it means nothing if you don't know woodwork or you know woodwork but you don't know how to paint .
Your children are so lucky to have a mother like you.Caring and wise.Thank you! @jennifertemple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts