Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not taking complete credit here, but.. after many emails, phone calls and research, The Paint Shops in Atlantic Canada have decided to be a distributor for Envirolak products. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on some. For those who have/are using it I have some questions. Mainly looking at the waterborne urethane products. The E9000 primer and the E200 White topcoat.
- What are you spraying it with? What's your preferred setup?
- Is any of it brushable?
- Dark colours and tinting? Options?
- Catalyst or not?
Is it really that much more durable than something like Command/ Advance?
Cheers

· Premium Member
271 Posts
Congrats on getting a distributor..not an easy thing..
IMO and experience with it, the E9000 is excellent and worth the price. I paid around $60 USD last year. I have used it twice on stained cabinets and recently on old trim that had oil base paint on it. Neither cabs projects were oak, so no input on if it fills. Light...light scuff with 320. I used a turbine HVLP with 1.8 cap. I have not used their catalyst. Thinned per Envirolak's specs for turbine.
It bonds, it covers, dries with a slight sheen...almost looks like a finish coat..It sands well but not as powdery as others.. It has a unique odor...think vinegar+Elmer's glue. It is not tintable. In a perfect world, I would like to end up with an AAA type hookup.

The E200 is excellent as well. I like the dry time, leveling and i would definitely choose it for dark colors. If i remember correctly, it sands more powdery than the E9000. At this time, I feel it brushes better than it rolls. I mini rolled sides of cab boxes and large sides of fridge(it was fine on faceframe) with 1/4 (5-6mm?) and just didn't like it..its like it didn't spread well on the larger areas..like enough to consider spraying larger surfaces. It does have "sag potential". I used the 20 sheen and consider it a low satin. Do not use a high elastomeric caulk (big stretch, Tower Tech 2 etc.) the E200 will hairline crack. I use a modified acrylic sealant by AllPro called Quick2Coat.
The dealer I get it from says the E200 will take the Next Gen tints..might not have said that correctly, but my point, is that one doesn't have to use Envirolak's tints exclusively...don't feel like you need to buy their colorants.

Spraying in general has been a part of my recent learning curve so I'm sure there are others with more qualified input. I don't have comparison input to Command or Advance and my pics are not up close ones.

I think you're gonna love both and hope to read what your experience has been. Hope more folks share their experience too.

Cheers

· Premium Member
271 Posts
Another thing....Envirolak 20 sheen is super close to Scuff-X Matte. I didn't order enough on one my projects and used the Scuff-X on the bottom of upper cabs and as first coat on crown molding and some casing that were part of the update. I read here that Scuff-X is hard to get now, but just sharing experience.
Paint store where I get EVL is out of state.

· Registered
Industrial Spray Painter
1 Posts
I've started using 9000 this month in
place of BIN to save money. Have done a few sets of cabinets (refinish) and some kitchen chairs. No oak yet. Spraying with a Graco 490, 310 FFTP. Lays down good and smooth and stays in place on the vertical. Stain blocking remains to be seen. Sanding with Carbo Red 320, after a 24 hour cure, it gummed up the paper too fast. Now I'm doing a two stage sand starting with 3M Pro 180. The chairs are going black, so I tinted. I free-poured so I can't give amounts, but it dried to BM 1614.
Scratch tested the next day and they easily passed. This stuff has great adhesion. Not too keen on the smell, and it lingers.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MikeCalifornia I tried to message you but it's not letting me. Tried to ask about the t9000 dry time for top coat of hydro plus.
If you click on MC's icon, a new screen will pop up. Click on "start conversation". Hope that helps. @MikeCalifornia I may also be in touch.
FYI. I have some t9000 and a bunch of other envirolak products on the way soon. Will update my experiences also.

· Registered
266 Posts
From what I have read on the PDS and on FB I need to let it dry 24 hrs or the top coat can crack. MikeCalifornia Hyroplus is a sherwin product, I have used for 2 years now. I am trying out the so called Italian version on this job that I purchased from Lancers in Rancho Cordova not far from where I'm at.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
From what I have read on the PDS and on FB I need to let it dry 24 hrs or the top coat can crack. MikeCalifornia Hyroplus is a sherwin product, I have used for 2 years now. I am trying out the so called Italian version on this job that I purchased from Lancers in Rancho Cordova not far from where I'm at.
Ok, that is what I thought. I believe it is relabled Sayerlak from a company they bought a while back. I'm not familiar with it.

Directed towards primer, I always let dry overnight. It's probably not a full 24 hours, but I have never had a problem. Only problems stem from spots on doors or drawers that were not cleaned totally. These poly products do not like unclean surfaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts