Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been seeing Scuff-X more and more, but there's still very little information about it on the internet. Only a few comparison videos, not many blogs or articles. I hate relying SOLELY on a reps information from the store, and I much prefer on the job experience. That being said, I'm wondering if you all have a better idea of the winner of this versus match when applied to walls:

Epoxy paint vs Scuff-X

We're specifically talking about epoxy "paint" and not regular epoxy, here.

From what I can tell, the epoxy paint will dry harder and more durable since there is actual epoxy in the paint, but Scuff-X has been designed to be [arguably] the most durable (scuff and stain resistant) paint on the shelves, right now. How would any of you think these two would fair against each other?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I liked Scuff-x when I used it for doors and trim, cabinets and shelves not in kitchens. I liked it better than SW Pre-cat epoxy, I felt the pre-cat was almost kind of easier to scratch or to crispy or something. I don't have a lot of BM stores here in Sacramento to buy it from and when I did they never kept enough stock on hand so I stoped using it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know about SW pre-cat epoxy but...personally, I swear by anything Ben Moore, especially the higher end products. Scuff X is awesome for trim/base/case or really any high-punishment area. I used it on previously painted CMU block in a public rec center locker room several years ago and to this day it's still holding up like a beast. I also REALLY like Cabinet Coat for cabinets and doors. CC is a super nice looking product and it sprays like a dream, possibly sprays even nicer than Scuff X. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked Scuff-x when I used it for doors and trim, cabinets and shelves not in kitchens. I liked it better than SW Pre-cat epoxy, I felt the pre-cat was almost kind of easier to scratch or to crispy or something. I don't have a lot of BM stores here in Sacramento to buy it from and when I did they never kept enough stock on hand so I stoped using it.
Yes! Ben Moore stores (even authorized retailers) are as scarce as fine dining burger joints!! Then once you do find a store, they don't have the paint or sheen in stock that you're looking for (Dcuff-X). To be such a popular and growing line of paint, you'd think it would be more readily available... This is a big part of why I'm looking for this comparison in the first place - because I need alternatives for when I can't get the Scuff-X.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yes! Ben Moore stores (even authorized retailers) are as scarce as fine dining burger joints!! Then once you do find a store, they don't have the paint or sheen in stock that you're looking for (Dcuff-X). To be such a popular and growing line of paint, you'd think it would be more readily available... This is a big part of why I'm looking for this comparison in the first place - because I need alternatives for when I can't get the Scuff-X.
If you have any ACE Hardware stores around, for me (in Central VA), they are an additional outlet for BM products. I've never gone looking for Scuff-X from them, though. But I'd bet most would order it if they didn't stock it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
@cocomonkeynuts
You said on another thread that epoxy paint is better suited for areas with high moisture. I guess that would be the determining factor of "which to use, in what situation" then... No?
I'm not saying not to look at the epoxies. But do look at the SDSs. The epoxy versions do come with some nasty potential health issues that Scuff-X doesn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts