Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please......I do new construction cabinetry and finishing. I have a client that wants me to match his interior trim to the cabinets. Most of the trim is installed and has one coat of primer and paint on it. His painter started this job but can't finish it. The cabinets I did for him are heavily distressed and have a wipe off glaze on them. This would require me sandwiching the glaze in between two waterborne clear coats over the paint. ( I think.......I have not tested the glaze directly on the paint yet.) Anyway, I am not quite sure how to price this job. The glaze is very labor intensive, you spray it on and then have to scrub with steel wool. This is approx a 4 to 5 million dollar home and every foot of trim needs to be distressed. I normaly quote finish for cabinetry, laquers, conversion varnishes, so I am kinda sumpped on what to charge him. I want to be fair with this client and cover my rump at the same time.
Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Only you know what the actual finish and procedure will be. Nobody can give you any figures apart from yourself. If you're not sure then why not take an hourly rate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My client is a builder NOT the homeowner...in fact there is no home owner yet. He gives me alot of cabinetry work so I don't want to kill him. I am thinking .50 to .75 per linear foot perapplication. I don't need to tape off and he is buying the material. Am I way off?

·
Registered
69 Posts
T&M no question. This is custom work, not blow and go. Or, do about 10 feet of test for color and time and work from that.

Good Luck Man

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please forgive my ignorance but I have never had to quote a job T&M. I quote everything in a square or linear foot. (Mind you I also do all my work in my own shop) I pretty much have my material and overhead figured in my square foot price. I have done very little site work so I am a little hesitant to charge at an hourly rate for something that might take me twice as long as a professional house painter. Again I apprciate any suggestions,
Caren

·
Registered
375 Posts
if he will not take T&M...see if you can do 1 room or area T&M to get a line on how long it will take to do....then go from there on giving a firm price...
no one is going to know your numbers(cost) but you.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
I dont think overhead and blah, blah, blah come into play here. Foileffects would be great help to you here. This type of work is for a craftmansman-artist and you need to charge accordingly.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Just estimate how long it will take you to do the job..Be generous!...If you want to make $45.00/HR ....fine...Just multiply it by the hours you think it will take to finish..Then add the cost of the paint,materials and travelling expenses...It's better to overestimate.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Remember to add in the variables here... if you are used to doing work in your shop there is no distractions, you can make your schedule... if you are in a new house I am sure there will be days where there are electrical and plumbing setbacks, so those are days lost, there will be other installs that will be in the way, dust which could tarnish your fine finishes.. .all these thing can end up costing you. explain to the builder that you cannot compete with a basic prime adn 2 coats on the trim, especially if it is installed already as now you are crawling around on your knees, and up and down ladders for casings and door jambs.... too bad you didn't know this ahead of time eh? Woulda been a nice one for you to bang off before they installed it all..

·
Right!
873 Posts
I feel 45 to 65 hour is reasonable for the work you will be performing if you have the standard operating overhead. If not adjust accordingly. You should have a feel for your method an time to apply finish so you can add that up along with a little for unforseens. Dont undercut yourself and dont blow up the price but do be fair in your estimate. Good luck and show us some pics. when you get it done.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts