Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Exposed ceiling tips

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Veith@toast.net 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just sprayed my first exposed steel lid with Sherwin acrylic dry-fall ;). It went well, but there's always room for improvement as any painter knows. It was dirty existing for 20+ years. I blasted off dust with compressed air. I covered up the floor with tarps to ease amount of sweeping later on. I had some issues with rust back on undersides of joists and a few spots within corrugated sections, which I came back and whizzed with oil. O, I also used .311 tip to conserve paint.

I am curious anyone out there with major experience on decks, would larger orifice help stomp out rust back, or does the acrylic have no chance to beat this one.

Also any tips on masking light fixtures, I'm talking long banks of fluorescents. Heat didn't seem to be an issue, I used poly cut down to strips about 1-1/2' high around the units and tacked them up after dusting off top of fixtures. I liked poly because light was able to still shine through and light whole area and not just down. Just cutting them seemed very inefficient though.

I'd like to hear any tips, or your routines. Thanks

#3 ·
It was just a baby, 500 squares. Which is the reason I was given it, not major production necessary, just get my feet wet into more commercial work as my bag is usually residential or commercial office work. There are many in my company who are very efficient at this sort of work, but I'm just curious to hear what others have to say on here since I don't get stuck pot tending for the guys doing huge decks.

#6 ·
Oden, thanks. I figured I'd go with the smaller orifice until I got the hang of the technique. I hit the joists from so many angles I knew I'd have runs galore if I used something too big at first. Another guy I work with said he prefers using .419 as well from further away and just let it rip and would downsize tips for joists to lessen wasted paint.

Anyone else with any other tips, not necessarily tip sizes, but masking or any other good to know tricks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.