Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I’m looking at spraying some exterior aluminum residential windows/frames and am curious what product you have had success with.

They are the factory windows from the late 90s and have never been painted previously. I’m leaning towards pressure wash, SW emerald urethane with Emulsabond mixed in first coat

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Hey guys - I’m looking at spraying some exterior aluminum residential windows/frames and am curious what product you have had success with.

They are the factory windows from the late 90s and have never been painted previously. I’m leaning towards pressure wash, SW emerald urethane with Emulsabond mixed in first coat

Thanks all
Emerald Urethane would work well in that application. Be sure to scuff the surface with a sotchbrite pad before painting. I would not recommend EmulsaBond additive.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts

Thanks all
Don’t know if you are still working on this project, but did this same thing yesterday. *We had to spray them in place.

Heres what we did:

1. cleaned metal parts on windows (used 409 spray, no reason, just had some on hand).
2. Scuffed surface using maroon scouring pad.
3. Rinsed w/ clean water.
4. Masked-off window and surrounding areas.
5. Sprayed w/ Graco 9.5 and #3 fluid set.
6. Used SW Emerald Urethane (package consistency -no thinning).

edit: I would be curious to know how others would typically handle this. We don’t get a lot of calls for this type of work.

Rectangle Wood House Shade Door

Plant Table Drinkware Gas Automotive tire

Building Window Shade Wood House

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Don’t know if you are still working on this project, but did this same thing yesterday. *We had to spray them in place.

Heres what we did:

1. cleaned metal parts on windows (used 409 spray, no reason, just had some on hand).

edit: I would be curious to know how others would typically handle this. We don’t get a lot of calls for this type of work.
Looks great would basically do the same other than we use worn fine grit sponges rather than scotch brite. Minimal masking and spray HVLP. Working on a similar job right now big 10ft windows and have to scrape silicone off every single one first and pray for the best.

#3 needle is a bit small for emerald straight from the can though looks like you had a good pattern.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Looks great would basically do the same other than we use worn fine grit sponges rather than scotch brite. Minimal masking and spray HVLP. Working on a similar job right now big 10ft windows and have to scrape silicone off every single one first and pray for the best.

#3 needle is a bit small for emerald straight from the can though looks like you had a good pattern.

They’ve reformulated it recently.
I tried it thinned and un-thinned, and felt I was getting good atomization without thinning.

Leaf Window Wood Automotive tire Shade

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Heres what we did:

View attachment 114356

View attachment 114357

View attachment 114358
I would also do about the same. I wonder whether you've ever considered just allowing overspray onto the glass, coming behind later to razor it off? It's generally fast and easy. I've never done that but I ask just because I saw some cabinet guys do it once. They showed up with a glass transom with the whole thing sprayed out. Installed and then scraped the glass clean with razors. Only might or might not be a time saver.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
How is the flow rate with the #3? Seems like it would be coming out pretty slow, no? Have you sprayed with #5? Will be spraying the same UTE on this job in about a month
I was getting good coverage with two passes: one pass get the inside bevel, and the second pass to get the the outside profile. I was focused on getting good atomization, and less concerned about paint flow.

Only tried #3 this time.
In the past I tried a #4, which definitely sprayed more product, but the atomization was not nearly as fine.

I would also do about the same. I wonder whether you've ever considered just allowing overspray onto the glass, coming behind later to razor it off? It's generally fast and easy. I've never done that but I ask just because I saw some cabinet guys do it once. They showed up with a glass transom with the whole thing sprayed out. Installed and then scraped the glass clean with razors. Only might or might not be a time saver.
I'd rather tape. I don't mind taping/masking. I will admit that I did not know what to do with the channel between the sides of the upper window and the casing.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Plant Sky Window Wood Building
Wood Fawn Bedrock Concrete Landscape

I was getting good coverage with two passes: one pass get the inside bevel, and the second pass to get the the outside profile. I was focused on getting good atomization, and less concerned about paint flow.

Only tried #3 this time.
In the past I tried a #4, which definitely sprayed more product, but the atomization was not nearly as fine.

I'd rather tape. I don't mind taping/masking. I will admit that I did not know what to do with the channel between the sides of the upper window and the casing.
Doing lots of windows currently and had a visit from the supervisor
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Branch

Sky Plant Property Window Building

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,722 Posts
Some of those windows would be a real PITA to access without a lift or scaffold. All can be done, but would be very slow going. Other than the scenery and wildlife, I don't envy you @cocomonkeynuts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It's too late to get a lift, by the time one is able to make it up here there will be snow. For now ladder work and finish with a lift next year. And yes it is a PITA I spend a lot more time scraping old silicone off than anything else but I'm hourly on this one so:coffee:

Btw all the lumber is finished with shipnshore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts