Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
sharpened dowels can be used for scraping loose varnish from interior corners. very useful for doors.
They are soft and won't damage door, can be re-sharpened.

That brings up an old, familiar topic: should painting be done before or after the floors are installed?
Of course, painting should always be done before new floors are installed, but not everyone on PT feels that way.
Final coat and baseboard only, because you know the floor guy gonna bang your walls up! 馃槚

Super Moderator
Final coat and baseboard only, because you know the floor guy gonna bang your walls up! 馃槚
And the electricians, and the tile guy, and the cabinet installers, and the plumbers, and the glass guys. Dealing with all of this right now at a place I finished up months ago. Already been back there twice doing touchups and fixing stuff. Guy (builder) I worked for was basically never there and he's so slow to pay that everyone basically just stopped caring and giving a crap about how the place looked when they were done.

The tile guy did the bathroom floor with black grout. It looks like every time he had to stand up he just put both filthy hands all over my white walls. Thanks man.

The only other GC I work for is always on the job site actually working and none of this stuff happens. All of his subs know they need to be careful and not make a mess of things.

Super Moderator
And the electricians, and the tile guy, and the cabinet installers, and the plumbers, and the glass guys. Dealing with all of this right now at a place I finished up months ago. Already been back there twice doing touchups and fixing stuff. Guy (builder) I worked for was basically never there and he's so slow to pay that everyone basically just stopped caring and giving a crap about how the place looked when they were done.

The tile guy did the bathroom floor with black grout. It looks like every time he had to stand up he just put both filthy hands all over my white walls. Thanks man.

The only other GC I work for is always on the job site actually working and none of this stuff happens. All of his subs know they need to be careful and not make a mess of things.
Oh you know it and I feel your pain. There's absolutely no point. I'll finish the ceilings trims, doors and mechanical rooms. And probably roll behind the toilets and Laundry machines. Oh and any High vaulted peaks. Rest of the walls can wait till everyone is the "F" out of there. A good GC will cover the floor with some Ram Board.

Registered
Property Manager

Reminds me of an opposite type of GC, a builder my wife works closely with on his projects (interior designs). Over the years we became friends and complimented him on the appearance of his work sites and the tight scheduling / on-time work completion. His subs were clean, neat and started / finished when they said they would. I asked him his "secret". He said he pays them promptly when all work is completed / inspected. He sticks with his known good subs so they know they have a somewhat consistent stream of work and they give him priority. Eventually we had him build a house for us. We closed on the day he said we would when we signed the contract 8 months prior. Even the HVAC ducts were scrubbed clean. Punch list completed in 3 weeks.

Premium Member
On the topic of paint strippers, reagent grade methylene chloride can be purchased and converted into a stripping gel/paste with a little bit of know-how..although it鈥檚 best to avoid using it for non-industrial purposes in non-industrial settings..

Premium Member
On the topic of paint strippers, reagent grade methylene chloride can be purchased and converted into a stripping gel/paste with a little bit of know-how..although it鈥檚 best to avoid using it for non-industrial purposes in non-industrial settings..

Lol, That guy is hilarious.
"I don't want the stripper to damage any of my tools"

#poison

Registered

80% methylene chloride, 10% lacquer thinner, 10% mineral spirits +2% MHPC (cellulose ether as a thickener).

Administrator
@finishesbykevyn woodwork suppose to be sprayed. Period. it does not matter is a door or cabinet or something else.
If you cannot spray a good product that protects the wood just sub construct to somebody who can do the job.
Just because you love brushing and do not like spray or solvent or similar this does not give you the right to push my buttons.
where did i say brushing is diy? i said use some big box store diy type product like varathane or deft or what ever.

You are right i am at the wrong place.
I did an entire kitchen of a historically listed house where the owners were emphatic about not wanting anything sprayed - all brushed. So, situations can vary and although spraying cabinets may be the most commonly preferred method, it certainly isn鈥檛 the 鈥渙nly鈥 way to do them.

Premium Member
I did an entire kitchen of a historically listed house where the owners were emphatic about not wanting anything sprayed - all brushed. So, situations can vary and although spraying cabinets may be the most commonly preferred method, it certainly isn鈥檛 the 鈥渙nly鈥 way to do them.
In keeping the restoration period correct on the house pictured, we brushed every surface including the plaster walls & ceilings鈥he only thing sprayed was the fence..so, yeah, in many instances spraying or even using rollers isn鈥檛 the preferred method.

Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Super Moderator
21 - 30 of 30 Posts