Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Expanding my business
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually just do interior painting but have been asked to paint a porch. What needs painting is the white railings and steps which have a lot of peeling paint. The homeowner claims they had it painted two years ago by a local guy and didn't pay attention to what paint was used but some of it's chipped off to just bare wood. I'd like to do this as I've done some of their interior painting recently and they want more of their interior work in the future. I don't have a lot of experience with outdoor paint and my SW guy is always trying to get me to spend more on interior paint than I feel is necessary so I don't want to just take his word for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
4,495 Posts
I usually just do interior painting but have been asked to paint a porch. What needs painting is the white railings and steps which have a lot of peeling paint. The homeowner claims they had it painted two years ago by a local guy and didn't pay attention to what paint was used but some of it's chipped off to just bare wood. I'd like to do this as I've done some of their interior painting recently and they want more of their interior work in the future. I don't have a lot of experience with outdoor paint and my SW guy is always trying to get me to spend more on interior paint than I feel is necessary so I don't want to just take his word for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Post some detailed pictures. Up close and from Several locations please.

· Registered
471 Posts
I've always had good success with the following process for exterior. Scrape>Sand with 80 grit> wash>rinse>Let dry>Prime bare wood with oil based exterior primer> 2 coats of exterior paint. In the wash put some bleach or sodium percarbonate (Oxy Clean). To kill any mildew or algae. In the rinse use wood brightener, oxalic acid, to open the wood. If you are using stain you can skip the priming. The process may be overkill but it covers your butt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.