Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm prepping an exterior of an old wood building. I was able to take almost all the old paint off and I primed it with a high-build peel Bond latex. When I got done with one wall I noticed a lot of tannin. Should I lightly spray an oil primer on top

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm prepping an exterior of an old wood building. I was able to take almost all the old paint off and I primed it with a high-build peel Bond latex. When I got done with one wall I noticed a lot of tannin. Should I lightly spray an oil primer on top
Did the latex Peel Bond activate the tannins? Tannins are water soluble so you would need an oil primer to block them however what is the compatibility of oil prime over Peel Bond? Curious if disparity in flexibility would be an issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Zinsser makes a product called smart Prime, that is water soluble but blocks tannins. It may be more compatible flexibility wise with the peel Bond. Maybe pick up a quart or a gallon and try a sample section

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don't go under the assumption any oil primer will block tannins....I know the old MoorWhite and many other oil primers don't accomplish the task very well. BM 094 has always been my go to. Cover Stain would work as well. Whatever you choose be certain tannin blocking is specifically listed as a property of the product.

While latex has now is the superior product in many coatings, I'd still want an oil product for blocking tannins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts