Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started wearing glasses and am having the worst time keeping them clean and also I am worried about scratches on lenses $150. (polycarbonate).
Just wondering if people who wear glasses and paint,prefer glasses or contact lenses? I have not tried CL yet. Also am wondering if I should maybe order real glass lenses.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ive been wearing contact lenses for a couple decades now and have no problems painting with them in. i would look into getting the disposable kind if you do a lot of spraying as i occasionally get a few spattered lenses and have to replace them.

all things considered, i might even count these as "safety contacts"! i had dropped a quart cup full of some acetone dye stain and it landed square in my eyeball. for a brief moment i thought "oh s&*t! im going to be blind!" but nope! flushed my eyes with water and popped out my contacts and was good as new :thumbsup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
From what I understand, astigmatism is not as easily corrected with contacts as with glasses. That's my main vision problem.

I also need reading glasses to see my work. I have a pair of work glasses that are focused for 18 - 24 inches.

I hear that they are using a far vision contact in one eye and a reading magnification in the other eye as a "work around" for bifocals.

That would drive me crazy (OK, crazier)

glasses for me

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Been wearing contacts for years, no problems. Have a slight astigmatism and no problems at all. Definitely get the disposable ones, I think mine are 2 week disposables.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Had to stop wearing contact lenses...

I got a scratch on my eye and the contact lens can hold bacteria against wounds....so I ended up with an ulcer on it. Nasty painful...every time I looked towards light it was like someone was jamming their thumb into my eye.

And no insurance, so the 3 ml bottle of medicine was $80. :eek:

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Had to stop wearing contact lenses...

I got a scratch on my eye and the contact lens can hold bacteria against wounds....so I ended up with an ulcer on it. Nasty painful...every time I looked towards light it was like someone was jamming their thumb into my eye.

And no insurance, so the 3 ml bottle of medicine was $80. :eek:
My wife had that. She was sleeping in hers. Mine come out everyday, and wear glasses at home.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
One set of glasses for work, and one set for play. I never liked the "splattered paint" on my glasses look. Will also use contacts, but not if I'm going to be doing much drywall sanding. That stuff gets into everything.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I need reading glasses so I buy the cheap ones for work...I need them for cutting in and I can't wait to get rolling so i can toss them!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all the replies it really opened my eyes as to what I will face. I will just have to learn to keep my lens cleaner in my tool box. Cheers

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I wear both, and when working I wear my old pair of glasses. Contacts are great, but you have to take extra care of your eyes when you wear them.

My work glasses will get covered in sprinkles.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I had the laser surgery done, I didn't like glasses, had astigmatizm so the contacts bothered my eyes, laser is awesome
so it cured the astigmatism, got that.

What about near sightedness? Would it fix the need for reading glasses?

I hate glasses, never seem to be clean enough. Feels like I'm looking through a tunnel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It fixed my nearsited but I don't need reading glasses anyways, when I had it done it would not get rid of the reading glasses but they might have better technology now, it has been 7 years since I had it

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat at NCPaint1. I have contacts for astigmatism, wear them mostly during the day, and then switch to glasses at night when home. Never sleep in them (unless I accidentally take a nap on the couch....which happens occasionally ;) ).

I like them. I feel like I can see better with the contacts, and I like how they don't get dirty constantly like glasses do.

I am more conscious of wearing safety glasses when rolling overhead though. I keep an old pair of glasses in the truck, along with a bottle of saline solution, just in case I have a vision emergency on the job site.

·
Registered
297 Posts
so it cured the astigmatism, got that.

What about near sightedness? Would it fix the need for reading glasses?

I hate glasses, never seem to be clean enough. Feels like I'm looking through a tunnel.
There is a newer version of lasik that is for people who need reading glasses. I had my lasik done in 06... I'm still in amazement at how awesome it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts