Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cover two hr dry primer (zinsser) you guys ever use it? Will it stay on? I always use slow oil to prime exteriors when prime is needed but this one must be done in one day, front of a house old cedar siding. I suspect it will
push off the substrate in less than a year, but maybe not.
BPTL

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
The whole thing?
I've used it for spot priming after scraping
Worked fine
...some of those "spots" can get pretty big

Never used it on new whole house/wall though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look at B. Moore Fresh Start-Fast Dry alkyd primer. Penetration excellent and can be tinted. I think dry time is 2 hrs. I have used this on my own house, which is "old" cedar siding [house bulit in 1840].

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
are you talking about cover stain?

should be fine, but don't get in the habit of doing it...no time to work with it will get old after a while

I don't think you'll have any major issue with peeling or anything, after all...we all know the key to a paintjob lasting is Prep, Prep, Prep

Have I mentioned PREP

ppppprrrrrrep

preppy

prep

out :jester:

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
I definitely agree with the fresh start fast dry....now that's a product worth using

good lookin'

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you talking about cover stain?

should be fine, but don't get in the habit of doing it...no time to work with it will get old after a while

I don't think you'll have any major issue with peeling or anything, after all...we all know the key to a paintjob lasting is Prep, Prep, Prep

Have I mentioned PREP

ppppprrrrrrep

preppy

prep

out :jester:
After I prep it I will spray it on .;)

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at B. Moore Fresh Start-Fast Dry alkyd primer. Penetration excellent and can be tinted. I think dry time is 2 hrs. I have used this on my own house, which is "old" cedar siding [house bulit in 1840].
I think this is the one to go with, I had forgot about the fresh start fast dry, I ussualy stick with what works best, slow oil.......but when ya gota do it now.. I can be flexible.
BPTL;)

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Make sure you back brush it. I really wouldnt use a fast drying oil primer in many cases for exteriors. Not much time to work and it doesnt fill cracks and crevises as well. I find that thinning out sw a-100 oil primer 30% and putting a lil jap dryer in it, dries the surfaces almost if not just as fast and has much more workability (spreading time) and coverage.

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
I have used cover stain on large areas and have had no problems. I think Zin's primers are far better then anything Moore can put out.

Yes in some situations I would use an oil fast drying cover stain for really quick projects (half dayers). Oil Cover Stain is an excellent exterior wood primer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts