Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys skilled at faux finishing?

I dabble here and there and have done everything from weathered crackle to your basic sponging. I have also done "brushed suede." This is a Valspar product that you simply brush on the wall in a bunch of small "x's" and it turns out pretty well. I have a client that is looking for that same finish in a very particular BM color. She will not derive from the color at all and Lowes will not color match the brushed suede paint. So, I went to Ben Moore and picked up some clear glaze and a gallon of the color to mix it with. I have been doing sample boards all night using dark base coats, light base coats, everything. I can't get the suede finish I want. Any pointers on how to achieve a nice looking suede finish?

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
mix in a pinch of drywall compound to a little bit of your paint to see if you can get that suede texture. (don't mix in to your whole gallon, figure out a good ratio first)

·
crowinthewind
346 Posts
I love workin with the unusual, Ive come up with diffrent paterns using everthing from praire grass to corncobs. I made a roller for the cobs makes it easier, (I aint tryin to be funny), really they make a very unusual pattern and if done right its really nice.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a picture of that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
As professional decorative finishers, when we do a suede finish, we use a product called Versiplast. It is a texture that can be troweled on a sealed surface to a smooth finish or can built up with layers to a high texture without cracking or shrinking. It can be tinted to any shade or be glazed after application. It can even go directly over old brick and mortar, or any other texture finish.

Our personal favorite.

http://fauxbykathy.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=246

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can it be puchased locally? Northern Michigan?

·
crowinthewind
346 Posts
Aint got any d furs, but gotta lotta honey locust, oaks, cedars, mullberrys, berch, ash, maples, elms, canabistrees, and gotta lotta skins from tree rat to them there "baby deer" lol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any of you guys skilled at faux finishing?

I dabble here and there and have done everything from weathered crackle to your basic sponging. I have also done "brushed suede." This is a Valspar product that you simply brush on the wall in a bunch of small "x's" and it turns out pretty well. I have a client that is looking for that same finish in a very particular BM color. She will not derive from the color at all and Lowes will not color match the brushed suede paint. So, I went to Ben Moore and picked up some clear glaze and a gallon of the color to mix it with. I have been doing sample boards all night using dark base coats, light base coats, everything. I can't get the suede finish I want. Any pointers on how to achieve a nice looking suede finish?
You should be able to achieve a suede look without getting the ralph lauren, or any other suede paint.

Practice the smoosh technique with paper or plastic after mixing up your glaze/paint.

Another way is to add wallpaper paste to the paint and use the X technique, not sure if you'll need glaze with this one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts