Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tape cost

I am not sure how much a roll..we buy in bulk about 5% less than normal contractor pricing. On this project we started with about $1200 in sundries and will have about $200 left over. The house is about 5000 sq feet.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You guys rag on Faux'ing in the 90s - what you forget, they were paying triple what they pay you idiots now to do straight painting. I have tears in my eyes now watching that faux being covered up. I am convinced this is an entire industry hell-bent on being worked to death and not making any money.

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
You guys rag on Faux'ing in the 90s - what you forget, they were paying triple what they pay you idiots now to do straight painting. I have tears in my eyes now watching that faux being covered up. I am convinced this is an entire industry hell-bent on being worked to death and not making any money.

Cry me a river and let the stuff get painted over! ;) Just kidding.........the only time I worry is when it was a job the my Dad and I had done together. It feels like our permanent stamp has gone.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
There was certainly a lot of bad faux painting done back in the '90s; everybody was trying to do it. Compare those photos with some of the posts in the "Decorative Finishes" forum. I think both PORDs and clients realized that it took a lot more skill and money than they had imagined to do it right.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I highly doubt John is working himself to death and not making money. :no:

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
straight_lines said:
I highly doubt John is working himself to death and not making money. :no:
When Dan (or anyone else for that matter) makes a generalization about "painters", I sincerely doubt they're referring to the types of members here. Most members here are true professionals. Not the splash and dash "painters" out there working under the table, making false promises, and generally bringing down the industry.

Sent from my Android, which is still better than the iPhone 6

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's a lot of taping:eek:

Regarding the casement windows do you brush out the "leaf" part that opens after your done spraying? Also, have you considered using Liquid Mask on the glass?

TIA

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a lot of taping:eek:

Regarding the casement windows do you brush out the "leaf" part that opens after your done spraying? Also, have you considered using Liquid Mask on the glass?

TIA
We have used liquid mask on exteriors; not in years really. This job is Benjamin Moore satin impervo with enamel underbody; I would not use liquid mask under that system. We do brush out components like the "leaf". We bid appropriately for the methods and production rates we use, This job will be 900 hours and at the half way point we are on our expected target.

I recognize that many painters mask less and I have also in the past. As an owner I am interested in repeating a process that is consistent (and scalable) from crew to crew.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This particular Faux job is not in that "triple" category. I might get a close-up and post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts