Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine changes depending on the work really... problock for standard duty priming, BIN for shellac'ed/varnished/laminates, and high build for damaged sheetrock, haven't found a favorite there yet but most I like seem to have high silica amounts. I really rarely use oil anymore.

·
Registered
315 Posts
But I can't really pick a favorite primer, as all the applications are different.

I agree. But one thing I think we can all agree on is that for the various uses it seams to be Zinsser all the way. :thumbsup:

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Depends on the app. fer sure

But, I would mention that Zinsser's probably has an excellent product for whatever the application is

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tell me, o wise ones, why is zinsser preferred? I have used kilz with good results, although I haven't done any side by dide testing. I used the latex kilz today over some skimmed surfaces that had been a drywall repair from stripping wall paper. It covered well and seemed to have a lot of pigment in it. Primed a half bath and it looked nearly like a finished job. Give me input! :001_unsure:

·
Registered
315 Posts
...Zinsser carries a good selection for many different applications.
That's what I like about Zinsser. The more I learn about primers the more I shy away from the "all purpose" primers. I don't really even use Bullseye 1-2-3 anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
That's what I like about Zinsser. The more I learn about primers the more I shy away from the "all purpose" primers. I don't really even use Bullseye 1-2-3 anymore.
Yeah, Zinsser is famous for their "universal" claims, but if you use them for proper applications, they work well.

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
...I've been using some of that new high end Kilz and like it...No oil base Kilz for me, too stinky!
The oil-based Original Kilz is the only Kilz I'll use
The others are pretty crappy
Kilz2's slogan is:
Kilz2, when it absolutely, positively, must fail

I've not heard of a "new high-end" Kilz though

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
XIM-400W- best primer for adhesion problems. 400W-ES for low VOC. XIM Peel Bond for exterior. Super high build possible- great adhesion. Higher priced but you get what you pay for in reduced call backs.
Hey Primer Guy,

I see you are a paint saleman... who do you work for?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.