Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks detailed and time-consuming. (Looks good !)
What exactly are you doing here? Is it a glazing technique?
I did some other work for this lady and she liked it so much she decided I should transform this table bought in the ‘90s. She wants it to look like Carrara marble.

It’s heavily textured, so I started by filling everything with Swedish Putty.

I didn’t price it right, of course. I’ve been sanding and filling for at least a week. I tried to talk her out of this, but she loves this table.

Beige Undergarment

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I did some other work for this lady and she liked it so much she decided I should transform this table bought in the ‘90s. She wants it to look like Carrara marble.

It’s heavily textured, so I started by filling everything with Swedish Putty.

I didn’t price it right, of course. I’ve been sanding and filling for at least a week. I tried to talk her out of this, but she loves this table.

View attachment 104725
Sounds like a good client!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
When I first read your initial post, I must admit, I had no idea what you were up to. The second photo reveals some excellent work. Something I would never have the patience nor talent to accomplish. Truly excellent!!!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, but filling crevices is something any reasonably skilled painter can do.
The real challenge here is to get this finished before she changes her mind again. We’ve gone from Portoro (black and gold) to Carrara and now to taupe-beige fantasy marble.

Ugh. I love my work, but sometimes am disappointed when clients play it safe.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Thanks all, but filling crevices is something any reasonably skilled painter can do.
The real challenge here is to get this finished before she changes her mind again. We’ve gone from Portoro (black and gold) to Carrara and now to taupe-beige fantasy marble.

Ugh. I love my work, but sometimes am disappointed when clients play it safe.
Tell her to go with the tie-dyed look in honor of Woodstock's Golden Anniversary! https://whatupintown.com/x/woodstock-50th-anniversary/

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
No lie, we did a job when I worked for Valley that was a two story foyer that was multicolored pink, purple, blue, etc. It was very bold.

Found a pic. I thought it was quite cool.

View attachment 104727
Funny...I’ve worked with David @ JDS too
on a couple projects..he sure does like those lime greens, blues, purples...bold but a bit garish..The slanted artwork on lucite is a dead giveaway..

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Funny...I’ve worked with David @ JDS too
on a couple projects..he sure does like those lime greens, blues, purples...bold but a bit garish..The slanted artwork on lucite is a dead giveaway..
I absolutely adore David and John. His projects are always fun.

That carpeting on the steps reminds me of a job in Georgetown. All I remember is the house was built by some guy that envisioned the first computer. Anyway, the crazy carpet room had carnival mirrors on the main wall.

Edit- Hollerith House. I remember ‘white washing/graining’ the balustrades and handrail on four flights of stairs, among other things.

I feel like our paths may have crossed somewhere in the past 20 years.

Have you ever worked with Mary Douglass Drysdale?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somewhat stone-like. I gave up sanding to perfection because I was given a few hints that I was being ‘too picky’ (taking too long).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I absolutely adore David and John. His projects are always fun.

That carpeting on the steps reminds me of a job in Georgetown. All I remember is the house was built by some guy that envisioned the first computer. Anyway, the crazy carpet room had carnival mirrors on the main wall.

Edit- Hollerith House. I remember ‘white washing/graining’ the balustrades and handrail on four flights of stairs, among other things.

I feel like our paths may have crossed somewhere in the past 20 years.

Have you ever worked with Mary Douglass Drysdale?
I haven’t worked with Mary Douglass Drysdale. I’m actually not from the DC area, although we probably work in similar circles. Most of my work through the years has been in the Hamptons, Manhattan, and Greenwich, CT. I worked with David and Nick on a project in Greenwich, CT and in the Hamptons, both homes for the same family. My relationship was actually with the architect and family. I never met John.

I found David’s page on Houzz which has more photos of the house from my prior post...Talk about funkadelic...

https://www.houzz.com/projects/1545503/contemporary-southhampton-residence

The Greenwich residence is in the link below. The house is mind boggling. I only did some of the specialty wood and specialty painted finishes on that one, the Southampton residence having done everything from floors, painting, wall coverings, furniture finishing, etc..

https://www.houzz.com/projects/1545310/stately-connecticut-residence-1

Maybe you could fill us in on what Swedish Putty is...FPOE? I’ve never used it but a review of the product and its uses would be helpful.

BTW, The piece you’re doing looks absolutely fabulous!

Edit: Just saw a video of the Hollerith House...absolutely amazing!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ruh-roh, I see a redo when the fixture is hung and lit up!
Ha! I didn’t finish today. Due to a lot of crap going on, I cannot return to the site for 2-3 weeks. I’m sure there will be all sorts of suggestions on improvements before I get back, not to mention the undone freebie she kept pushing.

Anyway....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.