Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have any luck looking to painting jobs for houses that had fire damage? We just did one and we had to paint the entire house.

The insurance agent found us through our website. We are trying to get more business from online. We got 2 jobs in the last month.

Tim
PDQ Restoration

Fire damage NJ

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
From the looks of your website, you guys cover a lot of ground and seem to offer pretty extensive services already. If you're considering offering painting, why not also consider offering drywalling, flooring, electrical, etc. as well? All, or most of which gets damaged during fire or flood. Thus, the total package.

If you were going that route, I have to imagine subbing this out would be a better approach rather than trying to generate in house teams in every trade.

Keep in mind, I'm a one man show and have reasonably little aptitude for business decisions.

I'd have to imagine insurance companies would rather deal with one company for the whole package as well.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I worked for a restoration company (GC) for 8 years. I was the in-house painter. We did fire/wind/water on residential. There's not much money in it as the insurance company (State Farm mostly) only wants to pay for the bare minimum to bring it back to pre loss condition. And they only pay for what stays on the house (usually not much of an allowance for materials--they think you should be able to use a roller cover for 3 years...lol. and I'm not sure where you're supposed to buy 1/2 a tube of caulk. Also, I wasn't allowed to purchase anything from anywhere but home depot (yes, I used a lot of Behr...I then decided that (CHOKING-- Glidden was a better option if I had to choose between the two) unless there were certain conditions (usually partial paints -a room here or there- in a different brand were ok). The insurance company has a contract with home depot to get better pricing on all their stock. The financial end is worked out to the penny. If you work with a good claims adjuster you may be able to get what the project is actually worth but don't plan on making much profit. That's just my experience....sub it from a GC and put the burden of haggling with the adjuster on him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts