Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use regular interior latex paint on a fireplace. Might also do a white wash but with a non-white color...not sure what that would be called. My concern is the top of the opening seems to get really hot. It has haed black soot on it now I can not figure out how to post a picture after several tries. So, hopefully everyone knows what I talking about. And, to be clear, I am not talking about the interior of the fireplace.

Ok. I figured the picture out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Can I use regular interior latex paint on a fireplace. Might also do a white wash but with a non-white color...not sure what that would be called. My concern is the top of the opening seems to get really hot. It has haed black soot on it now I can not figure out how to post a picture after several tries. So, hopefully everyone knows what I talking about. And, to be clear, I am not talking about the interior of the fireplace.

I don’t know about the heat issue, but it seems like you’ll need to use paint (not stain) simply because I think you’ll need to prime/stain block the soot.

·
Administrator
19,800 Posts
Try to use a latex that is approved for masonry. But even If it isn’t it will probably adhere just fine. Bricks and cement never want to give up latex paint easily.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
The brick is too exposed to direct heat from the hearth without having a mantle. I wouldn't paint the brick unless an insert was installed.
I think the NFPA requires that no combustible building materials are to be within 6” of the firebox opening. I wonder if a dried acrylic paint film is an exception to the rule aside from maybe heat blistering? I’ve often been a bit leery about painting brick right up to and returning into a firebox except when using mineral coatings.

·
Monarchski
101 Posts

Try the Romabio mineral paint. No manmade chemicals in it and it's NOT coming off once applied.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Holland
I have not even started the room yet. This job is for clients that I worked for last year that bought a new home. It started out with just painting mostly walls and was going to last a little under a month...it has turned into a massive job in which I am going to have to do in segments because I have promised other customers that I have already committed to, and some of them are new construction jobs that need the paint on the walls so that they can move in.
Also, the home owners have not decided if they are going to paint the brick. Today the wife was discussing putting a mantle on it, and covering the brick with sheetrock.

If it is painted or white washed I will post pics.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,392 Posts
@Holland
I have not even started the room yet. This job is for clients that I worked for last year that bought a new home. It started out with just painting mostly walls and was going to last a little under a month...it has turned into a massive job in which I am going to have to do in segments because I have promised other customers that I have already committed to, and some of them are new construction jobs that need the paint on the walls so that they can move in.
Also, the home owners have not decided if they are going to paint the brick. Today the wife was discussing putting a mantle on it, and covering the brick with sheetrock.

If it is painted or white washed I will post pics.
Drywall?:unsure: I hope the fireplace isn't in use.

·
Administrator
19,800 Posts
I would not hesitate to paint the brick right up to the edge of the firebox.

Over the years, I have seen and repainted many in use fireplaces and never seen or had an issue with the paint being affected (other than eventually getting somewhat smoke stained). I think inserts can actually make the outside even hotter since they tend to force the heat outward either as a result of their design or with fans. I can check our own fireplace (below) and the area around the bronze surround of the insert (just outside the firebox area) is actually a slotted opening that is designed to push the heat out of the unit - both upwards and sideways. Quite a bit of heat comes out of it and the stone around it (unpainted) gets pretty warm, but not hot.

In our last home we had a wood burning insert that actually protruded outside of the firebox area and rested on the raised hearth probably a good fifteen inches out. We had pretty hot fires in that thing and the brick surround of the actual fireplace (painted) never had an issue in the twenty years we lived there.

A brick fireplace that is still being used for burning wood (no insert) would send most of the heat up the flue and would probably be even less hot around the outside edges than one with an insert. That is one of the reasons wood burning fireplaces are deemed to be so inefficient for heating; the fires are built back in the fireboxes and most of the heat goes up and out the chimney rather than out into the living space.
7654E2DD-9420-4743-87F5-A2472641C9D2.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts