Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Painter
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post in here. I'm 29 Ive been painting as side work for a few years and went full time with it back in March after losing my corporate job due to covid-19 panic.
I just got my first "commercial' job. It's a single story, previously painted brick 3000 sf bar and grill. It's a big job as it sits on main street in a pretty wealthy community. Just wanted to see what kind of advice the old guard has for me. Any specific primers, paint choices, prep tips? Just want to make sure this is done right.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,357 Posts
Quick rinse and paint with Acrylic paint of your choice. If its on a main drag, I'd be very weary if spray painting. Roll application may be the better option..

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
First question, do you need to be a licensed painter in your state? If yes, and you are not, my advice is don't do it. That too much exposure for an unlicensed person to be doing and I'm sure you do not have insurance? General liability would be the minimum. If no, I might recommend having your paint store rep come and give you a specification for paint products.

·
Registered
Painter
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First question, do you need to be a licensed painter in your state? If yes, and you are not, my advice is don't do it. That too much exposure for an unlicensed person to be doing and I'm sure you do not have insurance? General liability would be the minimum. If no, I might recommend having your paint store rep come and give you a specification for paint products.
No license is needed in IL and I do carry insurance.

·
Registered
Painter
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick rinse and paint with Acrylic paint of your choice. If its on a main drag, I'd be very weary if spray painting. Roll application may be the better option..
That's a good point. I'm going to take your advice on that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don’t give them a low ball price to get your foot in the door. I remember when I was younger and would give a lower(than realistic) price bc I thought I could accomplish more in less time. Especially if it’s by yourself. You say beat up wood siding. That’s always more work than expected. Allow a few days minimum of buffer for the job to get done. Other than that depending on how your weather is this time of year use a product that is good in inclement weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
834 Posts
As a bar & grill, some of it is likely to need more that just a rinse. Look around all of the entries and exits, especially at around the back / kitchen door. Also near the dumpster area if there is one. There is likely to be some liberal amounts of grease filth to be cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,357 Posts
Don’t give them a low ball price to get your foot in the door. I remember when I was younger and would give a lower(than realistic) price bc I thought I could accomplish more in less time. Especially if it’s by yourself. You say beat up wood siding. That’s always more work than expected. Allow a few days minimum of buffer for the job to get done. Other than that depending on how your weather is this time of year use a product that is good in inclement weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure he already got the job and just looking for advice on procedures and product..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts