Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House has cracks in walls (at drywall seams or where drywall meets doorways/windows) up to 1/4". Cracks have been repaired before and reappreared, according to the owner.

Any suggestions for anything that I can apply to cover cracks that has some inherent flexibility and ability to "stretch" when the house shifts again in the future? Thanks.

John

· Registered
37 Posts
Elastomeric caulking like S-W 1100A. Sometimes I fill a crack with that and then if needed skim a very light coat of Easysand 20 or S-W spackling over it (both set up quick). In the case of chronic cracks, a flat paint (for easy touchups) is about it..

· Rock On
2,451 Posts
I have no warranty on cracks due to settling, but I have use caulk and Good-Bye Cracks when appropriate, and had good success with them

· Registered
594 Posts
The absolute best, never see the crack again way to deal with it is,
To remove the drywall larger than the crack area (stud to stud) then
add a few 2x4's for extra support. then re drywall the spot, mudd and paint.

I know it seams like allot, but it's guaranteed.

· Registered
12 Posts
You NEED to fix the shifting problem first. More than likely any cracking is just going to occur again.
If it's just plaster cracking then a flexible, paintable caulk will work the trick.
But if the house has movement eiter in the foundation or framing, you'll want an engineer to come have a look at it and troubleshoot it.

Why repair something that's just gonna get ruined again. And then have the homeowner coming after you to fix and fix and fix, or even get money back or worse file a claim.

· Registered
64 Posts
What Matt says makes sense, but I am uncertain as to how it is possible for a painter to determine the source of the cracking, whether it be the shifting frame, settling foundation or a one time breaking of the plaster in the seam. I have found good luck in describing the difficult nature of these chronic problems and providing the customer with all of the options. If they want to dig out the tape and reapply the seam with mud and tape or if they want a quick sand and stretchy caulking applied, or if they want a demo and supportive construction job are all ok with us as contractors. In the end it is their property and decision to make. Our job is to inform and follow through with the work.

· Registered
12 Posts
It is next to impossible for a painter to determine.
That's why you should hire an engineer to inspect it. :thumbsup:

If your job is to inform, how can you make any recommendations or guide in the decision process if you're not properly qualified with a firm grasp of knowledge?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sincerely appreciate all the great feedback on ideas on how to address drywall cracks, as well as the importance of getting to the underlying cause of the problem, and making it clear to the client that until the cause is addressed, anything I can offer may only be a temporary fix.

Thanks again everyone who responded.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.