Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to reply to the original thread, but when I went to upload photos, I ran into problems, so I'm starting a new thread.

So, I met with the homeowner today and got a closer look at the cabinets, as well as some backstory on what happened. They bought their home last year, and have been working with a contractor to update it, as it's 20 years old, and hadn't been updated since it was built, and wasn't to their taste. The kitchen had been remodeled 5 years ago, but again, wasn't to their taste, but the cabinets were in good shape, so they opted to paint. The contractor had been doing other work for them, and even though she had thought that she should hire someone who specifically does cabinet work, he assured them he could do the job, but obviously, that wasn't the case.

Not only was the job poorly done from a workmanship point of view, but he apparently ran out of paint, got a second can of paint to finish, and it was the wrong color. So, throughout the kitchen, it's two-toned in many areas, and essentially a hot mess. He said that his sprayer broke midway through (and there are a couple areas that don't look brushed), but overall, it's not good. And the doors were most certainly (poorly) rolled and brushed.

They haven't paid the contractor for this "work", so I'm not sure how that's going to go down. He wants to "fix" them, but they obviously don't want that. It would be nice if we could get him to sand them down to a flat surface, and I could work from there. Being a GC, I'm thinking he has access to better tools to do that portion of the work, but I don't know if that would fly - just my own brainstorming at this point. He did use Advance paint, and it's only been a week since the work was finished, so sanding at this point would make a bigger mess, since the paint is not fully cured.

I'm still debating whether or not to tackle this job. It may not be a HUGE kitchen, but it's definitely a high end home. They are committed to making it right, and I think would be willing to pay what needs to be paid to get the job done. I just need to figure out an amount that would make it worth my time and effort.

From a distance, it looks decent.
kitchen before.jpg

Up close, not so much.
drawer.jpg
drawer2.jpg

I don't think I made her feel any better by showing her my sample door that is the same color that her cabinets were supposed to be.
door.jpg

I think it kills both of us a bit that this job could have been much easier and cheaper if they had hired me in the first place.

Jenny

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
I still don't think it is that big of a deal to make them cabinets a lot better. Reall nice even. A good sand and spray em off I'd think will look pretty darn good. The color is there. You just got to get the finish dialed in.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Jenny, I have 2 questions that I would like you to answer:

What would be your methods of remedy to resolve all of the issues?

If you want the GC to sand, does that mean you don't have the equipment or experience to sand them stipple/drip free?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Jeeze, I'm kinda surprised that Advance Can look that bad. Runs you would expect, but not that stipple. He must have gommed it up with the primer.

The prep is going to be the most essential part of this. I would hesitate to rely on someone else, obviously not a good painter, to do that part.

Seems like someone here went through a similar situation not too long ago. Gough maybe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jenny, I have 2 questions that I would like you to answer:

What would be your methods of remedy to resolve all of the issues?

If you want the GC to sand, does that mean you don't have the equipment or experience to sand them stipple/drip free?
While I've never had a mess of a cabinet job like this one before, I've dealt with messy furniture pieces before, and am up to the task. If i do take it on, I'm using it as an excuse to invest in some more equipment that I've had my eye on for awhile now, but couldn't justify the expense. The thing that concerns me most is getting into all of those nooks and crannies, and making sure it all looks uniform once I'm done. I don't have an issue with the need for meticulousness in this job, just trying to figure out how much time it's going to take to do it. Maybe I should use a drippy brush and roller on some sample doors so I can hone my technique...

·
Registered
674 Posts
While I've never had a mess of a cabinet job like this one before, I've dealt with messy furniture pieces before, and am up to the task. If i do take it on, I'm using it as an excuse to invest in some more equipment that I've had my eye on for awhile now, but couldn't justify the expense. The thing that concerns me most is getting into all of those nooks and crannies, and making sure it all looks uniform once I'm done. I don't have an issue with the need for meticulousness in this job, just trying to figure out how much time it's going to take to do it. Maybe I should use a drippy brush and roller on some sample doors so I can hone my technique...

If you never did a job like this before, and can't explain how you would correct this job, then maybe you shouldn't bid this job.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Could you ask the HO if you can take one of the doors, prep it to a level you think is needed to get a finished product that you will be happy with and then determine how long it will take to do the entire job?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If you never did a job like this before, and can't explain how you would correct this job, then maybe you shouldn't bid this job.
I would venture to guess that there are many situations you come across throughout your career that present new challenges you haven't encountered in the past. Does that mean you shouldn't research and ask questions to determine if it's something you're willing and capable of doing?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I see nothing wrong with asking questions or researching...... just hope your honest with the client of your current skill set.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I would venture to guess that there are many situations you come across throughout your career that present new challenges you haven't encountered in the past. Does that mean you shouldn't research and ask questions to determine if it's something you're willing and capable of doing?
I spend hours on end researching some thing we have never come across.

I see nothing wrong with asking questions or researching...... just hope your honest with the client of your current skill set.
This is the best way. Be 100% honest with the home owners. They prefer an honest opinion over some bs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Question for the seasoned pros: what if she were to scrape/sand off all the bigger globs and such (fill any resulting divots) and spray a heavy coat or two of a high build primer like XIM Trim Magic, sanded and topped with Advance?

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Question for the seasoned pros: what if she were to scrape/sand off all the bigger globs and such (fill any resulting divots) and spray a heavy coat or two of a high build primer like XIM Trim Magic, sanded and topped with Advance?

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
That still leaves you having to sand all the details on the shoulders, moulding, etc. Otherwise, the "crispness" of that detail is lost. Some clients don't even notice and for others, it's a deal breaker.

Reactions: 804 Paint

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
They haven't paid the contractor for this "work", so I'm not sure how that's going to go down. He wants to "fix" them, but they obviously don't want that.
Maybe you should (at least) suggest they let him try first, before you step in to save the day.
Otherwise you may find yourself sitting next to the HO at the defendants table.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts