Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I guess I’ll be more apt to use flat in well-ventilated bathrooms upon customer request. I am astounded that the flat paint on my kids’ bathroom ceiling has held up just fine. As I mentioned, that place is a steam room and they rarely remember to turn on the fan. 3 showers back to back to back every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
We do bath remodels and I always install a timer on the exhaust fan. I use lutron timers with a 30 minute set time in conjunction with Panasonic fans.

You hit the button going in and the fan runs for 30 minutes. Works pretty well, but you can adjust the runtime for long-shower folks.

Not particularly the problem of the painter, but ventilation is where the issue lies.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have been using BM regal flat on bathroom ceilings, with good results. I have also been using Scuff-x matte on bathroom walls with good results.

I have BM bath/spa matte finish on the walls in both of my bathrooms, and they both have steam runs / fingers and residue from whatever products my wife sprays. The ceilings are BM regal flat finish, and both look like new. both bathrooms have windows and high quality fans that are only 1 year old. I also let the paint cure for 4 weeks before use (BM recommends 2 weeks). The walls are not bad I have seen much worse, but I see it.
gravity. You're not going to get steam runs on your ceiling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're always using flat paint in well ventilated bathrooms. And I agree that ventilation is not a painter's problem but customers usually don't care about that. If something happens you're guilty, dear painter. People don't really understand all the nuances of bathroom remodeling, especially when you're trying to explain the impossibility of painting this or that part of the room.

When I worked in Miami I discovered an interesting website about bathroom remodeling made by the professionals. I had a little collaboration with them and they taught me various things regarding bathroom painting. Really nice guys!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I always make them aware that kitchen/bath paints exist, but I usually leave it up to the to decide what they want. Most folks opt for the upgrade.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts