Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a residential repaint contractor and I was approached by a local high school to paint the football goal posts, currently white. They want yellow.

I'm guessing DTM but I'm looking for anyone that has expertise in this type of application on product, color choices, expected life span and process after cleaning and any potential hazards to watch out for.

Thank you,

I approached the facilities manager at a local Division 1 school and he said they have not done it in the 17 years he has been there, nor did he know what was used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used DTM a ton on metal doors and I like it fine but in this application maybe go with an equipment enamel, like what you'd paint fire hydrants with or large pipes, or......equipment.... :)

SW makes one (seems like the one I see out on the shelves is water based but I'm sure they make a solvent based one)....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would hope they come down so you can work on it horizontally. I would then either sand blast then, or electric wire brush and then sand them down. Make them smooth, rust free, and down to good metal . Best zinc primer, epoxy paint , then urethane top coat. This is also expensive . Other options are oil primer, then oil gloss enamel . A moisture cured urethane would also be a good choice. I would also spray wd 40 on the inside of the pipes if that is possible . Prevents inside rust. Be mindful that this is a high profile job. Do it right and your a hero, if it peels next year it would not be good for you.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
40' ladder (if you're unsure how to do this, ask the local cable guy while he's up a ladder against a utility pole), scuff/remove loose substrate, sand down to a dull clean surface, and apply two coats All Surface Enamel from S.W.
Collect check, deposit it, drink a beer.

Better yet, give them my number and I'll get this.
I'm thirsty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any decent oil based paint should do the job just fine. Even your standard rustoleum (non-spray) or store brand oil paint (like Ace Rust Stop) will be plenty durable.
Scuff sand. Prime with exterior oil primer then top coat with the oil paint.

DO NOT top coat with regular polyurethane. They are not UV resistant and will degrade quickly. If anything, topcoat with a marine grade spar varnish.

Reactions: tiger885i

·
Banned
191 Posts
I'm a residential repaint contractor and I was approached by a local high school to paint the football goal posts, currently white. They want yellow.

I'm guessing DTM but I'm looking for anyone that has expertise in this type of application on product, color choices, expected life span and process after cleaning and any potential hazards to watch out for.

Thank you,

I approached the facilities manager at a local Division 1 school and he said they have not done it in the 17 years he has been there, nor did he know what was used.
Paint it with General Paint oil based Weather it...

The oil based is great for exterior stuff like metal goal post's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts