Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my painting equipment and supplies are starting to take over my house a bit too much, so I think I may need to invest in a trailer. I have a 07 tacoma with a wired hitch rated for 5000lbs (upgradeable to 6500).

I was wondering, for those with trailers, if you have found an ideal size for storing equipment/being able to drive sensible/etc.

I was also wondering how you have you trailer set up, shelves? just stacked stuff? work area?

I would be looking at something from 5x10 to 6x12... however I am open to suggestions!

thanks

·
Paintist
719 Posts
I love my 5x10 enclosed. I have a ladder rack on top. The 5' makes it ideal to stack ladders without needing a ladder to do so. Quick on and off. I have the side door and ramp gate. I build shelves down one side. The only downside to a 5x is you have to duck when inside. However, the 5x is more aerodynamic and fits behind my truck nicely. It works well on tight streets. The 6x12 wouldn't be bad either. I would consider one for my next trailer. With how much I use my extension ladders, it sure is nice to load and unload them easily though. I haul everything I need in my 5x10. I'll find a pic.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
I always worked out of a Van in the past, but since going to trailers, I probably wont ever go back to a van. Main reason is, once I arrive on a job I drop off the trailer and Im free to run errands or go to the paint store without hauling everything around with me. Another reason is I run a small outfit and cant afford a seperate paint vehicle whether it be a van or truck. So, when Im not working, I drop the trailer and Im good to go. A 6 x 12 would be nice choice behind a Tacoma. If you go smaller, you will evenually regret it. I did regret going with single axle and will probably go tandem on my next trailer. The possibilities for shelves are endless. I also like the trailers because they are like mobile bill boards once they have logos, etc added.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
I have a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer and this is how it is set up at the moment:

I enjoy using this trailer.

·
Paintist
719 Posts
Ya it's nice dropping it on site and having your truck to run around with. The nice logo on the side is great for advertising your business. No need for yard signs with your trailer on site. I also like that I don't have to smell thinners and oil based because they are not sitting behind me.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Trailers are like motorcycles - you'll always wish you got the next size up. A 6x12 with tandem axles and elec. brakes is the only way to go....least it was for me. Easier to tow, back up, and stayed in place behind the truck down the road. Get a good hitch lock, put a 110 circuit in, a deep cycle 12 volt battery, and an alarm, and you're good to go. I also had a crank up vent on the lid to help dissipate fumes on hot days.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Trailers are like motorcycles - you'll always wish you got the next size up. A 6x12 with tandem axles and elec. brakes is the only way to go....least it was for me. Easier to tow, back up, and stayed in place behind the truck down the road. Get a good hitch lock, put a 110 circuit in, a deep cycle 12 volt battery, and an alarm, and you're good to go. I also had a crank up vent on the lid to help dissipate fumes on hot days.
I totally agree.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.

So 6x12 tandem axle. That is what I wanted, I just needed to justify it by asking experienced folk.

My hitch is wired, however to add electric breaks I have to take it back and they have to do some adjustments. But that should not be a problem.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 6 x 10. I got the extra hieght option, so glad. Here is a pic, it's a mess. I haul it more in the winter and in the summer, unless on a big job, just use the truck. I like not having all the stuff in the truck, my wife has a fit when she gets in the truck and it is a mess!

Attachments

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Nice trailer Jason.

I am also in the market for a trailer, and I like the thought of a six by twelve. Right now I work out of a 98 1 ton GMC utility truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts