Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently switched to fresh start 046 for all interior priming.
I’ve noticed that as it’s rolled on and then in the dry film there are tiny bubbles all completely random on the walls. It happens over drywall repairs and regular painted walls. I have to pole sand after it’s dry. Anyone else experiencing this? It’s a great primer but if this keeps happening I’ll have to go back to S-W multi purpose. I find spraying the 046 difficult. I use a 310 for doors and it dries with orange peel. 308 does not give an even fan. We recently scraped all oil and use this as our adhesion primer and switching from oil to latex. It adheres to oil based coatings with scratching off in just a few hours. I just find it difficult to spray. It’s seems thick and does not level well. Any suggestions would be great. My bm retailer only offers 046, sure seal, or stix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
micro bubbles? you got a bad batch or something. check your batch #. We usually spray with 312 fflp.
046 actually levels pretty good, thin it about 2-3% with water or extender. stix levels nicely as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
micro bubbles? you got a bad batch or something. check your batch #. We usually spray with 312 fflp.
It’s 95% with brush and roll. I know it’s not too thick going on. Have tried 3/8 and 1/2 pro do-z and 3/8,1/2 aura covers and same results

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll try to thin it. My bm will not bring in products that aren’t already on the shelf. How is the sure seal for full wall prime over repairs and existing painted walls. Still using pro mar 200 primer for full wall reprime. Topcoat with scuff x matte or regal matte or eggshell.
Still 400 flat on ceilings. They want 34/gal for muresco. That’s too much imo

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've burned a lot of 046 and never had anything like that. So the best I've got is, as coco said, a bad batch or something. It has always leveled out well for me no matter how applied. Maybe get a store rep out to have a look?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I’ll have to look into the batch. The gallons are from two independent retailers. Do they usually get the same batch’s?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,574 Posts
I’ve noticed that as it’s rolled on and then in the dry film there are tiny bubbles all completely random on the walls. It happens over drywall repairs and regular painted walls. I have to pole sand after it’s dry. Anyone else experiencing this? It’s a great primer but if this keeps happening I’ll have to go back to S-W multi purpose. I find spraying the 046 difficult. I use a 310 for doors and it dries with orange peel. 308 does not give an even fan. We recently scraped all oil and use this as our adhesion primer and switching from oil to latex. It adheres to oil based coatings with scratching off in just a few hours. I just find it difficult to spray. It’s seems thick and does not level well. Any suggestions would be great. My bm retailer only offers 046, sure seal, or stix
jr. have you tried the super spec k253 enamel under coater? That stuff is a great all around primer for drwwall etc. and the price point would be way better than the Fresh Start..

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
jr. have you tried the super spec k253 enamel under coater? That stuff is a great all around primer for drwwall etc. and the price point would be way better than the Fresh Start..
253 for new drywall is great
I guess I’ll have to look into the batch. The gallons are from two independent retailers. Do they usually get the same batch’s?

if they ordered them near the same times then yes, they would have come from the same DC. batch is on top of the can. recent batches should start with 41D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I’ll try to thin it. My bm will not bring in products that aren’t already on the shelf. How is the sure seal for full wall prime over repairs and existing painted walls. Still using pro mar 200 primer for full wall reprime. Topcoat with scuff x matte or regal matte or eggshell.

sheesh I carry like 15 different BM primers. sureseal is an ok primer as long as they give you a good price on it.

muresco is an awesome ceiling paint, I might start carrying coronado final touch as a ceiling paint though.. maybe $15/gallon and dead flat

·
Monarchski
120 Posts
sheesh I carry like 15 different BM primers. sureseal is an ok primer as long as they give you a good price on it.

muresco is an awesome ceiling paint, I might start carrying coronado final touch as a ceiling paint though.. maybe $15/gallon and dead flat
That 62 Line is pretty dang good as a price point flat.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Is this an isolated one time issue or have you duplicated this issue a few times? Micro bubbles can be a host of issues but let’s first start with the isolated occurrence.

·
Dry as Rye
508 Posts
If its new drywall, I've had a similar issue most times. I chalked it up to dust, thirsty board and some kind of solvent/coalesence/drying issue. I've never seen it show through the finish though.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Sure Seal is pretty meh. It's pretty much like Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3, almost translucent like it. I've only used it to prime skim coats/bare drywall, though.

046 I never had bubble issues with, and it always leveled and covered nice, just the expense now is astronomical for me. We did have issues with 046 not adhering as well as we'd like to slick trim painted really dark blue with some kind of presumably non-Gennex paint, and our theory was with universal tint that the darker the color the more content of oil based paint there was sort of, because the tint itself was oil based. We had it pulling off with tape 3-4 days later. So to me adhesion is good but not extraordinary with it, better than a Bullseye or similar but not like an oil or shellac primer for sure. I've also only ever used it brushing and rolling, and had no problems with it, but it is thicker and faster drying than most other latex primers I've used, but it counteracts that by sanding fairly decently quickly for a latex.

I'm tentatively switching to SW Problock latex for everything I'd use a latex primer on, I found it in most ways better than Bullseye 1-2-3, and my pricing is very decent ($21.) It used to be the same as Multi-Purpose iirc, but I think it's different slightly now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Spayed a bunch of 046 6 panel pine doors and other trim using a brand new 310 fflp. Did not thin but it went on great and dried fine. I’m just so used to spraying S-W multi purpose. It must have been operator error. Also shot 2 coats of scuff x semi on the doors and they look real nice. It was an oil to latex conversion on all the trim. Btw those runs on the edges are old. I sprayed the backs as a freebie so I was not concerned about sanding them. Just a quick dirtex wipe down.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Spayed a bunch of 046 6 panel pine doors and other trim using a brand new 310 fflp. Did not thin but it went on great and dried fine. I’m just so used to spraying S-W multi purpose. It must have been operator error. Also shot 2 coats of scuff x semi on the doors and they look real nice. It was an oil to latex conversion on all the trim. Btw those runs on the edges are old. I sprayed the backs as a freebie so I was not concerned about sanding them. Just a quick dieted wipe down.

Have your store order you some lenmar 1wb.200 undercoated for those new doors ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have your store order you some lenmar 1wb.200 undercoated for those new doors ;)
Those were all original to the house they were originally stained pine. Then were painted with several coats of oil over the years (hand brushed). We sanded them with 220 on a rotex 90. Sprayed them with 046 let them sit overnight and the. 2 coats of scuff x.

·
Monarchski
120 Posts
How are the brush/roll characteristics of this paint?
It's probably a better spray product than it is for brush and roll but some of that depends on who's applying it. If they have been using Muresco and try switching to Final Touch, they probably won't like it. It's not going to flow off their brush and roller as smoothly as that product or other higher end ceiling paints and it dries faster. But it is a dead flat and the touch up is perfect, To me it's a better flat than the UltraSpec line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts