Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been noticing that my sight lines are going from left to right, usually from lower left to upper right.

Here are just a couple recent examples to show what I mean.

But upon further exploration, I see that other peoples' shots also often follow the same direction.

Why ? Is this psychological? Cultural (we read from left to right) ? Some unwritten "rule" ?

I'm going to concentrate on breaking myself of this habit and see if it diminishes or improves the shots - hell, maybe I'll just mirror the shots in production.

Let's compare one

WalpoleBridgeFlipped.jpg

Opinions ????

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
So, would left handed individuals tend to form their shots from left to right?

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
Most of us scan pages from left to right, at least the first 1/3-1/2 of the page, and work our way down the screen, (in an F pattern). I suspect our propensities to capture images which facilitate this process in somewhat inherent..

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I looked at my shots and its even. For portraits I tend to use the right 1/3. I usually use the viewfinder to scan and see what looks best or reposition myself for best interest of background

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at my shots and its even. For portraits I tend to use the right 1/3. I usually use the viewfinder to scan and see what looks best or reposition myself for best interest of background
Ken,

I didn't want this to sound like it was something that ALWAYS happened. I did notice that your bridge and piano went from right to left as did Cricket's cabin/shack.

It's just something I noted did happen more often than not and was wondering if there was some deeper reason than "it just happened to look better that way"

BTW, are you a lefty or a righty ?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I'm a righty. I've never thought about a preference for lining up a shot. I'll have to pay more attention to where my instinct takes me and let you know. The hardest thing I find is getting a distraction free background. I'll usually look for that first. The second thing I do is to determine where I want the viewer to read my story. If a person is looking off to the left, I will frame them right so the pic doesn't look crowded.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
I am extremely left handed. I had to go look at my shots to see if I had a natural instinct to do one or the other but they appear to be pretty close to equally balanced. It all depends on the scene itself. That being said, I tend to take multiple angles of a shot.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I think there is something to the left-handed/right-handed thing in terms of how our brains naturally want to us to perform a given task. Of course, cultural/educational indoctrination may fly in the face of our natural inclinations.

For example, (and this happens nearly every time), when I need to cut a piece of plywood or drywall with many angles or cut-outs, I set it on sawhorses (in order to mark lines and cut) in a direction that my right-handed helper argues is wrong ('that side will be facing the shower, not this side. You have the marks wrong"). So we argue about it, only to realize that we are both correct...it just depends upon which side of the board I use as "home base" vs. his. Nearly every time he goes to measure, I think he has the board turned wrong based upon where he is beginning his measurements. Another example. I can spin a basketball on my finger, but only if the ball is spinning in a counter-clockwise direction. I notice that most right-handed people who can do this spin the ball in a clockwise direction.

I prefer, as a left-handed person, to cut in from right to left. I prefer to roll from left to right. That is just how my brain tells me is the most comfortable, easier way.

In regards to photography (of which I have little technical knowledge or experience), I would think this left/right brained preference comes into play, and is tempered by cultural expectations and how we like/dislike certain pieces of art/pictures vs. others.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I am extremely left handed. I had to go look at my shots to see if I had a natural instinct to do one or the other but they appear to be pretty close to equally balanced. It all depends on the scene itself. That being said, I tend to take multiple angles of a shot.
I'm extremely right-handed.
I went back and looked at landscapes and odds and ends trying to find a pattern.
What I saw was the same situation as when I was photographing graffiti on trains.
It seemed to be convenience. There was graffiti heading in both directions and my brain was fine with capturing both directions
When I looked at some bluebonnet landscapes, some trailed off to the right and to the left pretty evenly according to where I was standing and the ridges and trails that lay behind them. It saved me a lot of walking to take the picture according to where I was standing and cutting out power lines or roads or buildings. Again my brain adjusted fine.

HOWEVER, what I couldn't figure out is whether or not the ones going from left to right were my favorites or not, if I preferred them. I would have needed to test the theory blind; in other words some one would have had to ask me my favorites without me knowing why.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
When I took my bridge shots both times I had to be on the left hand side of the bridge to get the shot, however, when I composed the shot last week of the boots on the table I preferred the way the boots looked on the left hand side of the table to how they looked on the right. It was totally a conscience decision to put the boots on the left. And I also liked the boot on the right laying on it's side, which would be viewing the composition of the boots from left to right. You may be on to something, and I will keep that in mind, trying to work outside my comfort zone to find new ways to compose my pictures.

·
Registered
14,972 Posts
I wonder if ocular dominance has anything to do with it.

It's funny how you can discover a personal physiological attribute you've lived with for fifty five years, and didn't even know. For example, I discovered today that I am left eye dominant rather than the right eyed that I'd always assumed. But to make matters more odd, I'm right handed. Which explains why I'm such a lousy shot.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I wonder if ocular dominance has anything to do with it.

It's funny how you can discover a personal physiological attribute you've lived with for fifty five years, and didn't even know. For example, I discovered today that I am left eye dominant rather than the right eyed that I'd always assumed. But to make matters more odd, I'm right handed. Which explains why I'm such a lousy shot.
Well now that you've brought this up...

I was thinking about this after I responded to this thread. What is the relationship between eye-dominance and "handedness?" I'm left eye dominant and left handed. However, I'm also sort of crossed up.

I shoot a rifle left handed. I play pool left handed. I write left handed. I prefer to hammer left handed.

However, I throw right handed. I can punch much harder right handed. I kick with my right foot. I can paint with either hand, but prefer to left handed.

I have always thought, based upon my use of the limbs, that anything that needs precision I do with my left hand. Anything that takes strength I do with my right hand. It's always been this way for me all the way from a child.

I guess I'm wondering if eye dominance is strongly correlated with which side of the body a person prefers to use for tasks. I might be an outlier.

·
Registered
14,972 Posts
Well now that you've brought this up...

I was thinking about this after I responded to this thread. What is the relationship between eye-dominance and "handedness?" I'm left eye dominant and left handed. However, I'm also sort of crossed up.

I shoot a rifle left handed. I play pool left handed. I write left handed. I prefer to hammer left handed.

However, I throw right handed. I can punch much harder right handed. I kick with my right foot. I can paint with either hand, but prefer to left handed.

I have always thought, based upon my use of the limbs, that anything that needs precision I do with my left hand. Anything that takes strength I do with my right hand. It's always been this way for me all the way from a child.

I guess I'm wondering if eye dominance is strongly correlated with which side of the body a person prefers to use for tasks. I might be an outlier.
My colleague is the same way. Left eye, left handed. He's actually a very skilled mechanic.

I do believe it is preferred to have same sided dominance rather than crossed. Although, according to wiki, some studies of athletes proved unfounded. However, I have found that when I shoot a handgun with my left hand, I seem to be a lot more accurate, albeit awkward and uncomfortable.

Fun fact: wiki states that only one third of the population is left eye dominant. There's probably a significantly less number of cross dominant left eyes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts