Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I've learned so much from the posts here. I'm hoping someone can assist with a couple of questions, please.
Our fiberglass front door gets a lot of afternoon sun and there is no storm door to protect it. We installed the door about 6 years ago and painted it red with Ben Moore Super Spec D.T.M. Alykd Low Lustre.
It's now super faded and needs to be re-done. Try as I might, I can't determine if the paint we used is oil-based or not. The can says "contains petroleum distillates" so my best guess is that it IS oil. While researching this, I am also questioning why the person at the store gave us this kind to begin with. It doesn't seem appropriate for fiberglass. Regardless, it is what's on there.
We're looking to re-paint it using Modern Masters Front Door Paint. I'm also going to investigate Grand Entrance paint, which I just learned about here.
Before picking out a new paint, I want to be sure that I know what we're covering so that we can approach the prep correctly and use products that are compatible with the current coating.
Any insights would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Welcome to Paint Talk

Hi there!
I've learned so much from the posts here. I'm hoping someone can assist with a couple of questions, please.
Our fiberglass front door gets a lot of afternoon sun and there is no storm door to protect it. We installed the door about 6 years ago and painted it red with Ben Moore Super Spec D.T.M. Alykd Low Lustre.
It's now super faded and needs to be re-done. Try as I might, I can't determine if the paint we used is oil-based or not. The can says "contains petroleum distillates" so my best guess is that it IS oil. While researching this, I am also questioning why the person at the store gave us this kind to begin with. It doesn't seem appropriate for fiberglass. Regardless, it is what's on there.
We're looking to re-paint it using Modern Masters Front Door Paint. I'm also going to investigate Grand Entrance paint, which I just learned about here.
Before picking out a new paint, I want to be sure that I know what we're covering so that we can approach the prep correctly and use products that are compatible with the current coating.
Any insights would be appreciated! Thank you so much!
Welcome to Paint Talk, emeedee. What paint related field or trade are you involved in?

futtyos

IBTMTTO

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site.www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

This thread is now closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.