Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a seemingly endless journey down the road of eye care thanks to my wife, friends, and a visit to the eye doc which I talked about in a previous post!

Well here's the latest from a conversation with another doctor (second opinion - as many of your advised)

Me: You the 2nd eye doc I've seen and want your professional opinion - about my eyes and what happen when paint / overspray makes contact with them?

Doc: Whenever you work in such a way that dust, mist, fume or any other projectiles become airborne, you should be wearing eye, and possibly face, protection. *There always exists the possibility of eye damage from being struck by a particle irrespective of whether it is toxic or not. *

Doc: Paint is toxic.* It can cause minor irritation to corneal and eyelid damage. Paint chemicals are absorbed into the body through the eye.

Me: How can chemicals enter my body through my eye?

Doc: The eyes are richly supplied with blood vessels and many chemicals can penetrate the outer tissues and pass into the veins. The eye may or may not be damaged during this process, depending on the chemical.

Me: What are examples of chemicals that can enter my body by the eye?

Doc: Any chemical, whether in the form of a liquid, dust, vapour, gas, aerosol or mist, can contact and enter the eye. For example, the organic solvent toluene can pass through the outer layers of the eye and probably enter the blood stream. During this process it can cause keratitis, an inflammation of the outer layer of the eye.

Me: What's the bottom line

Doc: Low level paint exposure can cause fatigue, eye irritation, dryness, corneal scaring, anemia, and headaches. Higher level paint exposure can cause liver and kidney damage. Animal studies have reported testicular damage, reduced fertility, maternal toxicity, and delayed development from exposure to glycol ethers, methoxyethanol, and other chemicals found in paint.

Me: What!???!

Bottom line for me: Washing my eyes out every night to silence my wife, wearing eye protection, and headed back to work.

Any thoughts, guidance, or your two cents?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, I know the OP is spamming, but still a valid issue. Even rolling ceilings (especially with undercoat and flat paint), I get loads of splatter in my eyes and next time I do that sort of work I'm definitely wearing some sort of a hoodie with my respirator. Probably nNeed to wipe the visor every two minutes or so, but worth it.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question here just because I'm trying to understand.

How is this thread spam? Or the other one that was closed for that matter.

I'm viewing PT on the iPhone app, and I don't see any links to anything or anything being promoted/sold. The app leaves out a lot of forum info, so what am I missing here?

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
straight_lines said:
He is selling those funny looking eye protection glasses in his profile pic.
But u can walk into a store and walk out with safety goggles whenever you want to.
The ones in the pick - was it chitty chitty bang bang I think the guy was wearing them

People Event Smile Family

Yep chitty chitty bang bang

·
Dry as Rye
511 Posts
I purchased some BCG frames and prescription solvent tolerable lenses for a whopping 24 American dollars. Didn't even bother using my insurance. When they get too muckled with overspray, I clean them with lacquer thinner, and toss them in the dishwasher. PS Chicks dig 'em.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't think it's a big issue. Nothing IN the eye is ever good. For ceilings I usually get the clear glasses and can wipe them down with D.A.. Masks on of course.

Cleaning the machine with lacquer thinner or alcohol is going to be way worse than the paint put on, in my opinion. <shrugs>

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
straight_lines said:
He is selling those funny looking eye protection glasses in his profile pic.

Ok I will take your guys word for it.

Bill called it ninja spam in the other thread, It was over my head I guess;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've just ordered a full face respirator, this thread put me to action. Have always found it really inconvenient/impractical to use goggles with a half face respirator

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
G'day Guys & of course our PT Ladies : )

This month I've hit my 22 yrs in the trade yes thanks for the kind words in advance lol

Now for the serious business I'm thinking of putting a deal together I won't make money on it I just want to give back to our trade world wide ?
Yes world wide I'm thinking of ordering some special eye protection wear just putting it out there I will order 1000 and if it works out that I get one pair free I will be happy with that

Best thing they double as swimming gogles funny that

So far I have some pink ones or ones I like my sporty ones

If you thought I was joking
See that paint spot in the pic ? Yes you can as it's
Serious that's why I added an arrow

If I wasn't wearing my eye protection and that hit me in the eye I don't know what could of happened probably nothing

Safety First guys swimming second

Attachments

·
Dry as Rye
511 Posts
Schmidt & Co. said:
So paint in the eyes is a BAD thing?
No. Chuck D said 'Don't believe the hype.' I understand the 'D' to indicate doctor, and on that note..some graduate at the top of the class, while some graduate at the bottom. But they apparently all graduate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts