Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· tsevnami
2,189 Posts
and what color did you choose for the inside?
Looks like some really wet and possibly rotting wood at the bottom of those columns and below the windows. Was this the case, and if so what did you do about it? Quite the transformation, lots and lots of sanding. Good work.

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just some bad shadowing, the columns were in tough shape. everything had a poor coat of latex over the original oil coats. We had to remove most of it. Reprime and two coat finish California 2010.

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

Ya, lots of damage, patching..and replace everything touching the ground with composite / vinyl. All metal like hinges were stripped (12 layers) and re painted. Spent 2 hours polishing brass that had been previously painted. Stripped and redid locking system.. see below

DSCF0025.jpg

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
kelly i have seen your work and it does look good!! Do you ever have problems with the bondo cracking because it will not expand /contract with wood?? I did use it a couple of years ago and it looked good for a while but learned it does not expand and contract with wood!!

· Banned
14,174 Posts
kelly i have seen your work and it does look good!! Do you ever have problems with the bondo cracking because it will not expand /contract with wood?? I did use it a couple of years ago and it looked good for a while but learned it does not expand and contract with wood!!
That is exactly what I thought, need some thing with elasticity. I also wonder if it would adhere to the wood.

I am curious did you caulk prime bondo or just caulk bondo and paint?

I think it looks great

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes there are cracking issues so I follow this strict regimen, Caulk all deep cracks first, then bondo (yes it sticks to bare wood great) sand with makita's the prime, then 2 top cats latex.

But thats the way we've been doing it for ever, there has got to be better products out there now...I'm just old school.

Here's another example of bodo.

DSCF0008-2.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.