Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am spraying a small table, and four small chairs for a client. I'll charge a day's labor, I think, and have found a way to sell the rest of the Holland-Lac oil gloss enamel left over from my own pet project. And, I'm finally going to justify buying the 5-6 stage turbine driven titan carpstay 115 hvlp system.

Anyway. . .

The furniture is cheap pine stained and finished with polyurethane. I think I'm going to wipe down the poly with wil-bond, and, presumably prime it.

So, what's up with enamel underbody? The FPOE HollandLac recommends it as a primer, as it is pretty high build, and very high tooth. It specifically recommends against pigmented shellac which is thinner and has a gloss. Fundamentally, my question is, will I have any trouble getting this primer to stick to the poly? Would I be better off using a urethane based primer (which I presume would be thinner and shinier, like the shellac)?

My paint shop guru recommends the underbody, as the enamel will come out like glass, but would love a second opinion.

thx

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
I agree with PRC that the sanding is critical. Given the amount of use/abuse that furniture gets, I'm hesitant to rely on deglossing/bonding liquids.

I think either enamel U\B or the FPOE primer would work fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Word. Thanks guys. I'll give it a good wipe down with 220 too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is an interior application. Really good, though. I am using the brilliant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts