Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Fyi: Free Paint

8K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  paintpimp 
#1 ·
My sherwin williams rep told me that they are instructed to give out free "Resilience" paint. Thats the new line that allows for painting when moisture is expected. Apparently they need to get the word out. I told her that I'd be happy to paint with it all summer for free:thumbup:

#4 ·
Seems like I had an offer to use some free SW paint, Cashmere. I think that it is a new high end product. I haven't tried it yet, but it may look into the offer.
Hey DW did you get any t-shirts? I like the t-shirts. Haven't asked for any signing yet.
Happy painting, Paul.

#5 ·
Seems like I had an offer to use some free SW paint, Cashmere. I think that it is a new high end product
nah....cashmere has been around for a bit
not sold or marketed as 'high end', but it's a great paint IMO....I like using the medium lustre for trim

#7 ·
me personally? I used to charge $10 more per gallon...but to each his own
I would charge the same for free paint...nothing unethical about it either, you need to make a profit

#14 ·
I think it's great to see God brought up. It's a tough subject, but it shouldn't be IMO. I respect you for bringing God into this talk Jason. Afterall, the idea of ethics came into play, therefore having some sort of standard (ie. God, if He is your standard) comes into the picture.

#23 ·
Well, I've seen it in the store but have yet to try it. I am not sure that I want to. Duration carries the weight of their heaviest warranty and I always spec the paint being used as part of the sale. So, how does the Resilience compare to the Duration? I couldn't imagine running down to SW to pick up a gallon or two of a moisture resistant paint because the day is looking cloudy. If it is as good as the Duration or even Super Paint then why didn't they offer or add that as an extra benefit to the Duration or Super Paint formulas?

As far as the free paint and what is passed on to the client, Jason I believe you are choking on a gnat here. When I sell a 5k paint job I am not selling 4k worth of labor and 1k worth of materials. If the customer was paying for paint separately then they should get the benefit of free paint. Otherwise any savings the contractor realizes is apportioned to profit, or it can be used to discount the job to win the contract, either way what I pay for materials is irrelevent to the end customer. They still pay the price for the sale. Typically I always charge "retail" (whatever that may be) or add the retail price into my estimates. If I get a 15% or a 40% discount on paint then this is added to the profit from the cost of material. If I charge $55 a man hour and pay out $25 then I am running a business and will not pass on that profit to my customer, just as I will not pass on the savings from my discount or free paint. There is a difference between profit and usery and we can't confuse the two. We have been given "talents" and must take responsible actions to grow our business or it will be taken away from me. Again, be careful not to confuse responsible profit using balanced and just scales with usery or false scales. Personally, if I run into someone who would like to try it for a discount I may knock off $500 from that 5k job (or 50% off retail paint cost).

#26 · (Edited)
As far as the free paint and what is passed on to the client, Jason I believe you are choking on a gnat here.
:thumbsup: No offense taken.... but it's not actually my gnat. ;)

Try reading the WHOLE topic from the start. :) Any input I had, had to do with profit and sin, nothing to do with the pro's/con's of free paint.

While I am here, I could put forth an effort to talk about the topic at hand... :) For the free paint thing... Every man does business according to his priorities and values. I would bid the job accordingly to include the cost of paint and at the end I would refund the customer that cost of the paint at my price, not retail. I could have taken the value of the paint and gained as profit, but my intent of doing so would have trapped me in sin because the cost of the paint should have never been factored into the proposal due to the fact it was free. Since I do my bids to include the cost of the paint, it is easier initially to give that estimate and then when the job is done give them the money back. It's a win/win situation. It's going the extra mile to gain trust and loyalty and when you gain that, you gain a greater return through word of mouth.

Each business owner for their own convictions.... :thumbsup: In all that we do, painting or not, God looks at the intent of a mans heart and he knows each of us better than we know ourselves....

J

#29 ·
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Your right. My bad. See... That's the consequence of western cultural Christianity.... Sorry. Even though I don't practice the western culture Christianity any more, I am still in the process of weeding out the crap it tought me.

It's the LOVE of MONEY that is the root of all evil.

J

#31 ·
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? … Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?"-- John Galt in Atlas Shrugged

Brian Phillips

#33 · (Edited)
Made my correction.

Read above.

Allow me to elaborate:

Money is a tool, nothing else.

When one covets it and it becomes an idol in the heart, that is where THE LOVE of MONEY will hinder a man/women from seeing the grace of God.

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I dont' always intend to bring out the Word but since you sorta provoked me to do so, I will.. ;) Sure, at times I volunteer my efforts...

Bare with me here... I am not out to intentionally offend. Jesus offended many while His time here on earth, but it wasn't intentional, the offended were the ones so stubborn in their ways that they couldn't fathom the idea that God sent such a Man, for they had thought the Messiah would have looked, talked, and walked differently.... If one is offended then I might ask that they search their heart, and also ask me to clarify or give reason to what I am talking about.

Back to topic: Free Paint. Unless of coarse you want to continue. I love Jesus Christ and any moment I get to share the Love of Him who saved me from this wretched world, is a wonderful moment. I would rather take it to a more appropriate atmosphere instead of high jacking this topic. :thumbsup:

J

#35 ·
Jason

I wouldn't say that you are offending anybody here at all. Spirituality is a personal issue for each of us. When someone goes out of their way to keep bringing it up, it comes off as marketing. That is not the type of marketing we are looking to discuss in this particular forum. If you are recruiting participants for the forum that you keep offering a link to, that is marketing all the more. Thats not what we are here for. There are people knocking on our doors trying to sell information about our salvation.

Spirituality is personal. If I were to come out here and find some clever way to present my hemorrhoidal flare-ups as relevant to a topic, that would be considered inappropriate self-disclosure. Spiritual beliefs are personal and, while your intentions I think are quite good, your message may not be well-received in a format such as this. Politics and religion don't seem to do well here, or anywhere really. I would keep the biblical analysis to your narrowistheway forum.

#36 ·
Thank you for this evaluation of what could be a bad thing... I do agree with you about what is marketed and for what reasons. I hadn't thought about the fact that taking a discussion to a place I linked to as marketing that website... I sorta feel bad about that. I'll edit the last post of mine (just above) that includes that link... The reason I post it is to invite the same discussion to a more appropriate place, not to take away from the original purpose of the topic.

Thanks again.

J

#39 ·
I've been painting for about 1 year and I want to pick up a few sidejobs this summer(boss doesn't mind lol). So I'm going to buy any mis-tints that I can from duron. I just got 4 gallons of Duron's Weathershield for 4 dollars, beige/yellowish color, great for an outdoor building or something. I plan on charging either by the hour for small jobs and by the square ft/linear ft for repainting houses. Anyway, my thing is telling the customer that they are going to get a good deal with me because the paint is top of the line Duron(a big name in greensboro) paint and i bought it cheaper because it is mistint, so therefore they are getting a good deal on the cost of "quality" paint and labor since im just starting out. Nothing dirty about it as far as I can tell, just marketing myself.

#40 ·
Anyway, my thing is telling the customer that they are going to get a good deal with me because the paint is top of the line Duron(a big name in greensboro) paint and i bought it cheaper because it is mistint, so therefore they are getting a good deal on the cost of "quality" paint and labor since im just starting out. Nothing dirty about it as far as I can tell, just marketing myself.
Let the worms fall where they may.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.