Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i hope everyone is doing good & staying safe during these crazy times
So far i've keeped the crew busy & still having money coming in so taking this time to do some work on our warehouse

I need a little help here, we added corrugated galvanized metal to a wall in our shop and want to give it an old look, like rust / patina and i'm lost

i know yall can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Shed Building

Gas Metal Signage

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I’ve used Modern Masters Oxidizing Iron Paint (ME208) followed by the Metal Effects Rust Activator (PA904) over primed structural steel, followed by a couple of matte clear coats. It worked out beautifully.

They also have an acrylic Metal Effects Primer (AM203) to prevent the activator from reacting with metal substrates. I don’t know how it would behave with galvanized steel though.

Might be worth looking into.

Glad to hear business & health is well.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
An afterthought to my previous post....although probably not feasible for an interior wall surface due to potential hazards, a muriatic acid gel (Tek Gel HD24) “might” remove the galvanized coating on an upright surface, followed by rinsing, neutralizing with baking soda, and rusting the underlying steel with either Jax Antique Rust by the Jax Chemical Company or the Rust Activator by Modern Masters...both contain ammonium chloride as the active ingredient, and both produce similar results.
I’ve used the Jax for rusting clean non-galvanized steel, although I’ve never de-galvanized steel with an acid. It probably would have been a good option if it were done prior to installation.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I saw a contractor , and I think this is the correct order, heat the metal and while it is hot use a garden sprayer with bleach and spray it down. Probably not the best indoor method. Cor -ten steel looks good but it is too late since you already have it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First i hope everyone is doing good & staying safe during these crazy times
So far i've keeped the crew busy & still having money coming in so taking this time to do some work on our warehouse

I need a little help here, we added corrugated galvanized metal to a wall in our shop and want to give it an old look, like rust / patina and i'm lost

i know yall can point me in the right direction

Thanks

View attachment 106279

View attachment 106281
nice

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
You can give it a rust red patina by using ferric nitrate & blow torch! It’ll work without the blow torch too but you can’t control the outcome & takes a lot longer to develop

If ya want a safe WB version then I second the Modern Masters metal effects & patina solutions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.