Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We removed wallpaper in the kitchen and dining area. We removed as much wallpaper adhesive as possible. Then, we spackled the holes and peeling paint. Then, sanded and cleaned the walls of dust. Then we painted Gardz on the walls. However, I see some flashing on the areas that have mud. Is this normal after painting with Gardz? I'm worried that if I put on a final top coat of paint I will still see flashing. What do I do? See picture attached.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
We removed wallpaper in the kitchen and dining area. We removed as much wallpaper adhesive as possible. Then, we spackled the holes and peeling paint. Then, sanded and cleaned the walls of dust. Then we painted Gardz on the walls. However, I see some flashing on the areas that have mud. Is this normal after painting with Gardz? I'm worried that if I put on a final top coat of paint I will still see flashing. What do I do? See picture attached.
View attachment 111799

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Read the instructions on the can of Gardz very carefully. It should say at some point that if a first coat of Gardz shows any flashing or dull areas, cover those areas with another coat of Gardz. I make it easy by just rolling a 2nd coat of Gardz. A 2nd coat goes twice as fast and uses about half as much Gardz to get a reasonably uniform coat of Gardz sheen-wise.

Ideally, you should Gardz the whole area over after removing the wallpaper and as much wallpaper glue as possible, then make repairs, then coat with Gardz over repairs.

futtyos

P.S. Is Chrisn still here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read the instructions on the can of Gardz very carefully. It should say at some point that if a first coat of Gardz shows any flashing or dull areas, cover those areas with another coat of Gardz. I make it easy by just rolling a 2nd coat of Gardz. A 2nd coat goes twice as fast and uses about half as much Gardz to get a reasonably uniform coat of Gardz sheen-wise.

Ideally, you should Gardz the whole area over after removing the wallpaper and as much wallpaper glue as possible, then make repairs, then coat with Gardz over repairs.

futtyos

P.S. Is Chrisn still here?
Thank you. I will apply Gardz again and hope the flashing will disappear.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,184 Posts
Yep, it's normal. In the future, hit those mud areas 1st with a light coat of Gardz, allow it to dry, then coat the entire wall with Gardz. If you have more questions, please visit our sister site at the link below. Good luck.

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.