Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the video of the new Purdy backpack coming in March 2020. It looks pretty cool, and may be overkill - but I guarantee I would forget what compartment I put that one item I was looking for! :vs_mad:

I was wondering what everyone uses to transport gear? I use a combo of Husky bags & bucket organizers - but does anyone have any interesting ideas?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I always liked 5 gal buckets with organizer sleeve. I do have a couple of those exact same DeWalt bags, and they are handy. Steel job box with lock for on site larger storage.

With the degree of fanciness in some of the new tool storage systems, it wouldn't surprise me it that Purdy backpack had USB charging ports and a CamelBak hydration system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always liked 5 gal buckets with organizer sleeve. I do have a couple of those exact same DeWalt bags, and they are handy. Steel job box with lock for on site larger storage.

With the degree of fanciness in some of the new tool storage systems, it wouldn't surprise me it that Purdy backpack had USB charging ports and a CamelBak hydration system.
But can it hold my slow pitch softball bats and a 6pack

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have 6 18 gallon totes and it's killing me. 1 for brushes and brush stuff such as pelicans and the liners(which I reuse). 1 for the rollers, covers, trays, liners, 1 for misc (Cleaning stuff, gallon lips, sand, trashbags, sandwich bags, and etc, 1 for tarps, 1 for wall repair, knives, fast set mud, sand paper, sanding blocks, 1 for rags (This one I could get rid of), then I have the tool bag(hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, and etc). Loose is sanding pole, broom, vacuum,and pole extension. It's crazy. Hauling all that in to paint a couple of rooms. But if I leave it out in the truck, guaranteed I'm making twenty trips to the truck.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I have 6 18 gallon totes and it's killing me. 1 for brushes and brush stuff such as pelicans and the liners(which I reuse). 1 for the rollers, covers, trays, liners, 1 for misc (Cleaning stuff, gallon lips, sand, trashbags, sandwich bags, and etc, 1 for tarps, 1 for wall repair, knives, fast set mud, sand paper, sanding blocks, 1 for rags (This one I could get rid of), then I have the tool bag(hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, and etc). Loose is sanding pole, broom, vacuum,and pole extension. It's crazy. Hauling all that in to paint a couple of rooms. But if I leave it out in the truck, guaranteed I'm making twenty trips to the truck.
That does seem excessive! I do an inventory and fresh pack for each job. Only on the rarest occasion have I not brought in a detail I needed. (My prior evening is spent organizing for the next days work) I try to avoid an excess of stuff that seems to complicate jobs for me. I want to know what I have and where it is, at all times.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Pretty good rig if you're walking to work every day or the boss is ex-military and big on forced marches when the crew's been messing up. Really I can't see it being used as backpack too often. There were situations where we had to hoof it up several flights of stairs and all that is better on your back than in your hands, I suppose. Sure holds a lot though!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
:vs_cool:Actually, I rather like the look of that pack. How long is that extension pole? I don't think I've ever seen a wall pole that compact.
Wooster made a 1'-2' like that (maybe still do?) but I never saw the point. Some guys claimed it was handy in tight spaces where a 2-4 wouldn't fit. That sounds like a call to arms and hands to me and maybe step up on a bucket. I do use a 1' handle I found that's wood when I need that much more of an extension but I didn't waste any money on it- found it!

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
My guys like the short poles like that in hallways, some closets I suppose too. We have one that size floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Wooster made a 1'-2' like that (maybe still do?) but I never saw the point. Some guys claimed it was handy in tight spaces where a 2-4 wouldn't fit. That sounds like a call to arms and hands to me and maybe step up on a bucket. I do use a 1' handle I found that's wood when I need that much more of an extension but I didn't waste any money on it- found it!

In hallways and closets those poles are da'bomb.....just enough you don't have to bend over to load the roller or stretch too much to roll the ceilings. I never left home without!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
In hallways and closets those poles are da'bomb.....just enough you don't have to bend over to load the roller or stretch too much to roll the ceilings. I never left home without!
Not against them- just happy with my long arms and that extension I mentioned.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I am like you. 5 gallon with tool apron on it, one 5 gallon for trash, one 5 gallon for cleaning brushes, milk crate full of paint brushes, another milk crate for masking tools and items such as denatured alcohol, 5 Rigid stackable tool boxes, plus a larger one for mud tools and a smaller one for screws and nails, a large stack of drops (one exterior one interior) and the list of tools without a box, such as multiple Festools, is long. I can easily spend 45 mins just getting my tools out of the truck especially if the area on the job site is a couple stories up or in a basement.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts