Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my local paint shop called me in to re-do a wallpaper job that apparently the "last guy" had troubles with. I'll try to get a picture. But it's one of the continual geometric designs with about 50 matching lines per sheet. Seems almost impossible to have every line match up by the time you get to the bottom of the sheet. Not to mention when you wrap the corner. I usually do my cuts in the corner, and you lose a bit of the pattern. Theres almost no way to get is to match on the next wall. I personally though it was totally acceptable, but she is super OCD. (Surgeon) and picked it apart. Faak. What would you do?

Attachments

·
Banned
878 Posts
For one, you're not supposed to do cuts/seams in corners :p

You basically have to pre-cut everything with a machine, so the edges are straight. Then, when it goes on the wall, it should line up, if you made the cuts in the right spots. There's no overlapping and double cutting.

Is there a gap between the white patterns? You could make the cuts in the blue areas only, which will waste a lot of material, but then you don't have to worry as much about it lining up perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For one, you're not supposed to do cuts/seams in corners :p

You basically have to pre-cut everything with a machine, so the edges are straight. Then, when it goes on the wall, it should line up, if you made the cuts in the right spots. There's no overlapping and double cutting.

Is there a gap between the white patterns? You could make the cuts in the blue areas only, which will waste a lot of material, but then you don't have to worry as much about it lining up perfectly.
Do you even hang wallpaper? What is this machine you speak of? Corners are never straight and I'm pretty sure most people do their cuts in the corners..don't they!?

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that @Woodco had this same issue/question a couple years back. Did you ever have an epiphany about this.? Besides talk client out of hanging geometric paper in a whole room...

·
Banned
878 Posts
I've only ever seen one guy use it, but it's like a big paper cutter that lets you trim the edge of the paper, to change the width. And a lot of specs forbid you from seams within 3-6 inches of any corners (inside, or outside).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I use 2 pieces to match the corner. Whatever amount of pattern is lost in the first piece is added back in the second piece. I have found that sometimes a little extra in the second is needed, especially if the corner is out. In that case a slight overlap may be needed to get the pattern matched from top to bottom, and then carefully trimmed out in the corner where the overlap is needed. To my eye, extra pattern is less detectable than missing pattern, and sometimes (a lot of times) it is impossible to get a perfect match from top to bottom and still be plumb coming out of the corner. Of course, if you can't get a perfect match, whether in the corner or on the seam, eye level is the most important area of the match.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
What Gwarel said. Thats the best way to match a pattern in a corner. I only do it on certain occasions though. You have to have plenty of paper. Sometimes I get creative cutting the second piece to dull out some sharp patterns. I have even appliqued piece of patterns in the corner to give the illusion that it matches. Even a few marker swipes can make it look a little better sometimes.

But sometimes, the corners are out of whack, and the pattern is too angular and geometric and theres only so much that can be done.

A couple few pages into this article here, is some good explanations, and videos on making inside corners the best way possible.

I dont know what the heck Masterwork is even talking about...

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 2 pieces to match the corner. Whatever amount of pattern is lost in the first piece is added back in the second piece. I have found that sometimes a little extra in the second is needed, especially if the corner is out. In that case a slight overlap may be needed to get the pattern matched from top to bottom, and then carefully trimmed out in the corner where the overlap is needed. To my eye, extra pattern is less detectable than missing pattern, and sometimes (a lot of times) it is impossible to get a perfect match from top to bottom and still be plumb coming out of the corner. Of course, if you can't get a perfect match, whether in the corner or on the seam, eye level is the most important area of the match.
This makes sense and had considered that after the paste had dried of course..Although, I guess then you have to deal with a bit of over lap, but yes better than a total mismatch I suppose.. Thx Gwarel.

·
Banned
878 Posts
I dont know what the heck Masterwork is even talking about...
I find this interesting. It must be a commercial thing. Dental offices, banks, etc.... No seams in corners! I've come across this in job specs as well as vinyl wall covering data sheets.

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find this interesting. It must be a commercial thing. Dental offices, banks, etc.... No seams in corners! I've come across this in job specs as well as vinyl wall covering data sheets.
Ya, vinyls are a different animal. Especially when there is no pattern to match. You can just wrap the corners and then double cut all your seams. With these finicky designer papers, you have to be dead on. Even a 16th of an inch off can be noticeable when it's a stupid geometric pattern like this one..

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I don’t hang paper but I’ve done a bazillion wall stencils that had to line up. What I’m seeing on this bathroom is unacceptable. The drop from left to right under that window is probably an inch and a half. That area should’ve been perfect based on how noticeable that are is.
Good luck if you decide to take it on . Surgeon or no surgeon, she has every reason to find it unacceptable.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I don’t hang paper but I’ve done a bazillion wall stencils that had to line up. What I’m seeing on this bathroom is unacceptable. The drop from left to right under that window is probably an inch and a half. That area should’ve been perfect based on how noticeable that are is.
Good luck if you decide to take it on . Surgeon or no surgeon, she has every reason to find it unacceptable.
Damn! You’ve got good eyes. I won’t be posting any of my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn you. I just noticed that. She does have a good eye.! To be fair, I only hang a few job per year. I was sweating bullets on this one. Tough crowd.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Yeah, tough crowd! I’ve been damned twice today.

Anyway,I think I said that backwards. It goes up from left to right, not down. Don’t you guys ever sit on the toilet to check the walls?

Kevyn, you already fixed it? I thought those were pics of the other guy’s work. Sorry!

Slinger, you’re old school so I’m sure you can paint with your eyes closed.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

Anyway,I think I said that backwards. It goes up from left to right, not down. Don’t you guys ever sit on the toilet to check the walls?

Kevyn, you already fixed it? I thought those were pics of the other guy’s work. Sorry!

I'll chime in again. Yes, that is unacceptable, but sometimes, its unavoidable. If there wasnt enough paper to properly do it, for example. Just today, I had a problem because the corners were out of whack. All I could do, is overlap the paper at eye level and make it look good there, but above and below, the pattern went out.. If the room is out of whack, we can only do what we can do... But yes, that could have been done way better, but hes asking for our help, just like I used to do.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
because commercial generally doesnt have patterns to deal with. Patterned wallpaper usually cannot be wrapped in inside or outside corners. . It is cut in the inside corner, and slightly overlapped and cut on an outside corner. You cant take a torch to paper to make it flex like vinyl, and even if you could, it would screw the pattern up big time.

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Haha. All good. Under that window was probably one of the last pieces and had to be overlapped to match the pattern. I'm pretty sure I was at the end of my patience by this time. I was so focused on keeping the pattern "in tact", that keeping it level under that window never even crossed my mind. It was however very level across the ceiling line and the rest of the wainscot. So cut me a little slack! 😅 🙏. I am glad you pointed that out though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts