·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Sometimes people call and want an installation and have already bought the paper, and are a little on the short side... You cant just go to the store and get more paper. Also, with somethign like a mural, thats just not gonna work. The best thing to do there, is to not split the sheet, get it into he corner, then cut one side of the corner, so it minimizes pattern loss.

It also depends on the paper. Some patterns HAVE to be plumb, even if the walls and ceiling arent. If we cock it to try to match the off plumb corners, then when artwork is hung, it will look like its crooked. And we also cant think of everything. Sometimes we get caught up just trying to make the ceiling look right, that we miss that the corners are out. Theres a LOT of variables, and its easy to overlook something due to being focused on something else, then we finish up, and see where we screwed up, and then its too late...

With this particular pattern, it repeats horizontally, so it could have easily been slid over to the next pattern to overlap the corner the best way possible, so yeah, thats a rookie mistake. Learn from it. Then do a combination of creative cutting, and markers to blend in anything that doesnt quite match right. Its really time consuming. Another thing todo is pick the most visible corner and start the paper there. If your paper were overlapped you can cut out tiny notches on the top layer to expose the color beneath, so it at least doesnt look like a sharp cut off. Get creative. Do this with your kill point too. I've even cut pieces out of a scrap, and glued it on top of the paper to make it look right.

Some advanced techniques involve widening or narrowing the pattern with creative cutting to make the pattern land in the corner in a better spot. If it was being hung left to right, over the door would be a great place to do this. IT can be done on a full wall though, but its tedious. If one were hanging vertical stripes, and you have a stripe in a corner thats off by a 1/2" in the corner, you can double cut the strip in one or more places where that 1/2" is either spread out to several stripes that are 1/8" a piece or whatever will not show as much. I'll see if I can download some pics of some tricky stuff I've done.
I appreciate you taking the time to educate some of us. Your work looks great. I’ve done similar tricks when stenciling or doing stripes. It’s time consuming, all right.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to educate some of us. Your work looks great. I’ve done similar tricks when stenciling or doing stripes. It’s time consuming, all right.
My father who was a painter/faux artist had me and my sibling(s) planning the layouts, adjusting widths, and installing glazed stippled stripes when we were just kids back in junior high-school...maybe even back in elementary school...same applied with adjusting stripe widths with wall-coverings

41 - 44 of 44 Posts