Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer with a gloss paint sign covering several commercial size windows. Each window is more than 2m (6 feet) by 2m (6 feet) the gloss paint covers all the glass there are no gaps. Between the paint and the surface of the glass are some vinyl letters. The customer wants every thing removed does any one have any suggestions (other than use a scraper) how to remove the gloss paint and vinyl letters?

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I don't like chemical strippers on glass. Maybe a hot water power wash? Hopefully someone will chime in, good luck if you end up scraping it. That's not a fun job.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
what kind of paint?

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
By the time the cost of removing it is factored in, and not knowing what the end result may look like, he might be better off to just have the glass replaced if that's a doable alternative.

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
A way to go might be a commercial grade graffiti remover. Several sites come up online. Here's one that might have something that would be helpful:

http://store.sosafeusa.com/?gclid=CL273rOj2bACFQZ5hwodsxY-0A

They have a help hotline that you could call to see what they say.
I suspect you would still need to scrape but perhaps not as much and the remover may help protect the glass as you do.

Another possible source is a local janitorial supply house. I'm guessing they might sell products designed to remove paint from glass. Or, give the maintenance department of your local school district a call. They likely have a lot of practice removing paint from glass and may have a product they could recommend.

Sorry that's all I got. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi guys thanks for the response so far

@daArch oil based gloss paint two coats.

@NCPaint1 & @researchhound thanks for the suggestions but one thing I forgot to mention was that the paint is on the inside of the glass in an operating shop. I know they never thought about removing it.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the response so far

@daArch oil based gloss paint two coats.

@NCPaint1 & @researchhound thanks for the suggestions but one thing I forgot to mention was that the paint is on the inside of the glass in an operating shop. I know they never thought about removing it.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Just to clarify: when I suggested graffiti remover I wasn't implying that I thought it was graffiti - only that a product like that may help you in removing the paint. Having it on the inside would prevent you from pressure washing it though.

I still feel it's likely a combination of a chemical remover and scraping will need to be considered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts