Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clients wants new exterior steel french doors painted. Gloss will be satin or semi. This door gets lots of Texas sun. Curious what everyone's go to product for painting this would be. SW Rep suggested Sher-Cryl but was thinking maybe ASE or DTM. What's your go to steel exterior door product? Thanks!

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Clients wants new exterior steel french doors painted. Gloss will be satin or semi. This door gets lots of Texas sun. Curious what everyone's go to product for painting this would be. SW Rep suggested Sher-Cryl but was thinking maybe ASE or DTM. What's your go to steel exterior door product? Thanks!
All Surface Enamel would be fine. DTM would be ok too. DTM has good color retention. Thats all I use on gutters. I used SW ASE for the last 8 or 10 years with great results (waterbourne) I have put that stuff on hundreds of front doors and never had a problem.

Last year I switched from SW to a local NW paint company and I now use Pittsburgh "Break Through" on all my front doors. Awesome product!:thumbsup: Blows away ASE.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Just wrapping up a big interior trim job using breakthrough. Chose it for the adhesion, durability and range of color bases.
For exterior I did a bunch of south facing doors in black, they get a lot of direct sun, and while it's only been a year they look great so far

Sent from my blah blah blah

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Just wrapping up a big interior trim job using breakthrough. Chose it for the adhesion, durability and range of color bases.
For exterior I did a bunch of south facing doors in black, they get a lot of direct sun, and while it's only been a year they look great so far

Sent from my blah blah blah
Thanks. Thats good information Damon. In haven't used it on trim yet.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Thanks. Thats good information Damon. In haven't used it on trim yet.

It's tricky to work with as you can probably imagine. We added some extender. Brushing seems to look better than rolling for the most part. Although the Whizz 3/8" micro fiber covers actually worked pretty well.

Sprays real nice as you know.

·
Brushmaster
98 Posts
I agree with the breakthrough. Its a great door paint, I also use alot of Kelly moore dura-poxy! Similar finish as breakthrough, just has a little better sag resisitance and more sheen choices..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like pro industrial urethane alkyd as a top coat, oil is going to dry harder and be more resistant to oils from your hands etc. Also key factor is that pro industrial urethane alkyd has a 7 day cure time compared to DTM and Pro Industrial Acyclic which is 30 day cure time. Faster curing time means less callbacks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like pro industrial urethane alkyd as a top coat, oil is going to dry harder and be more resistant to oils from your hands etc. Also key factor is that pro industrial urethane alkyd has a 7 day cure time compared to DTM and Pro Industrial Acyclic which is 30 day cure time. Faster curing time means less callbacks

Oil = Slow to dry, fast to cure
Acrylic = Fast to dry, slow to cure

That said, even with the reinforcement from the urethane resin, that product will chalk and fade before an acrylic product will. I painted a steel door with BM Urethane gloss enamel (P22) and a garage door right next to it with SW latex ASE, both in pre-mixed black. They started out with more or less equal sheen, but after just one year the ASE is quite noticeably shinier and blacker.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just finished using Pitt tech for the first time today on 7 black doors. Sprayed like a dream, had some fish tails that blended in right away, and touched up so nicely. That's my new go to door paint

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
Back in the day when PPG was readily available we were big fans. We also like the 6-2 and 6-411 for drywall great products. DTM Satin was a big hit in any color . Had a very good PPG paint rep for 20 years who retired years ago...those were the days my friend sorry going down memory lane.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Back in the day when PPG was readily available we were big fans. We also like the 6-2 and 6-411 for drywall great products. DTM Satin was a big hit in any color . Had a very good PPG paint rep for 20 years who retired years ago...those were the days my friend sorry going down memory lane.
PPG is new to me, they just bought out akzo noble north America (Dulux to me). What's nice is I get all the products I like from Dulux, and devoe, with now the added bonus of some of PPGs products

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts