Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even after doing a 180 and denouncing support for SOPA, godaddy is loosing major clients with thousands of domains registered there. Many stating they can't do business with a company that would support such horrible legislation.

Basically if passed this would have allowed the government to seize any domain without due process of law. Of course somehow godaddy.com and its sub domains would have been exempt from this in the latest amendment to the proposed legislation.

Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), the only member of Congress present at the hearing with any tech experience, having founded several web companies, introduced two amendments: one to exclude universities and non-profits from being subject do having to shut down their own domain servers if accused of piracy under SOPA, and the other to exempt dynamic IP addresses, such as those found on web-enabled printers. Both were voted down.

Polis pointed out that SOPA and Smith’s amendment already excluded certain operators of sub-domains, such as GoDaddy.com, from being subject to shutdowns under SOPA.

“If companies like GoDaddy.com are exempt, why aren’t non-commercial domain servers exempt?” Polis asked.
http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/sopa-hearing-will-never-end.php

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Dec. 23, 2011) - Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" currently working its way through U.S. Congress.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation - but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."
http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=378

I will be transferring my domains and hosting accounts elsewhere when they expire this year. For more on the backlash from the public, check out their twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/#!/GoDaddy

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
In my opinion this is all futile. We are in the wild west days of the internet. Its just a matter of time before greed and major lock downs are in place. Sometime in the future we are all going to telling stories to our grandchildren "In my day of the internet you would be amazed......."

Pat

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I was reading somewhere that the internet is only 17 years old, a recalcitrant teenager, as we see it mature, there will be tons of changes!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
RCP said:
I was reading somewhere that the internet is only 17 years old, a recalcitrant teenager, as we see it mature, there will be tons of changes!
re·cal·ci·trant/riˈkalsətrənt/

Adjective:Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority.

Triple Word Score!

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I have to check that game out.
What if I don't have any friends?
then you are lonely...

j/k

you can go in and get set up with a random player.
use facebook lists, or play local passing the phone off each turn.

my wife and i get bristly over scores.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Anyone play Hanging with Friends? (I have the iPhone app) The wife and I play all the time, but being that she grew up reading the dictionary for fun many, many times, she usually kicks my butt.... Looking for the less intellectual type... takers? haha!

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Anyone play Hanging with Friends? (I have the iPhone app) The wife and I play all the time, but being that she grew up reading the dictionary for fun many, many times, she usually kicks my butt.... Looking for the less intellectual type... takers? haha!
the nag ad eh?
i considered jacking into it, my wife reads 3 large books per day, we should go a few rounds.

·
Spider killer
728 Posts
being a teenager is great..last year in toronto they were going to charge per click, that got shut down..the fat cats will have their day.. i just hope it isn't a long day:no:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What are my other options aside from godaddy? I am in a particularly unique place right now with renewal due in less than two weeks. My website is a wordpress and my e mail account is through godaddy. Myweb designer is currently making some header changes and so forth.....

Before she gets too far along I would like to give her some sensible alternative directions....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts