Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So, it just so turns out this sun on an exterior door was painted with an interior oil paint.
The product was rustoleum ultra cover gold. The product also states not to do a second coat of the gold metallic product over it.
My inquiry is if coating it with an exterior rated solvent varnish like Old master exterior varnish would help prevent any troubles with the coatings longevity.
There is no sun or water exposure for this door.
Here's a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you use most exterior varnishes that have a UV protector you may see what looks like a little bit of a reddish tint, which is the UV protectors.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The Ultra Cover Metallic Gold does contain copper and zinc, so best not to use an oil based varnish, otherwise the oils might saponify, resulting in the clear flaking off. It might be best to try an acrylic clear designed for reactive metals such as Modern Masters Master Clear. The MM does have UV absorbers as well, and is exterior rated. I couldn’t guarantee the results though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the expertise!
I do have some of the acrylic clear in stock.
I'm considering though just sanding it off and using the BM Molten Masters exterior oil gold finish. Sanding that interior coating off just doesn't seem like fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts