Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All!

My name is Rich Littlefield, I'm sure some of you remember me from years past when I owned a painting and then a log home restoration company.

I started my business in 1999, but I've painted since the late 80's early 90's when I was a teenager working with my Dad. At that time, we did mostly industrial, painting oil and natural gas wells on the strip mine fields up in KY, and also many, many of the DOT buildings and fences all over KY, too.

When I moved to rural North Georgia, I decided to get back into painting, (I had been doing high-rise window cleaning), and quickly grew to 5-6 guys, even though I had no idea what I was doing from a business perspective, or a residential painting perspective, either. Fortunately, I hired a couple great painters that corrected a lot of crazy ideas I had at the time about painting. On the business side, it was rocky for a long time.

Finally, by about 2005 I got my act together and started charging more and getting my marketing in focus, which really helped. I enjoyed running a business, but really liked the sales and marketing aspect of it best. So in 2011 I sold the business to my foreman, and stuck around for a while as a commissioned salesman while I spent some time going to Sandler Sales training, (which I love!), and really diving into the current state of marketing, learning more principles, learning about tools, and learning how they do, or don't, work together.

I'm on the boards as a "Service Provider", not a painter. I just want to be right up front with everyone. I own a marketing agency now and I'm focusing on painters first and foremost before I branch out into other types of businesses. There's two reasons for this.

1. I preach segmenting your marketplace and focusing on specific customer personas, and I have to practice what I preach.

2. I have a lot of empathy for people that are starting out, or have been at the business for years and just haven't stumbled into the right information yet to turn their business around and make it work for them, instead of them working for it.

Because of my status, and the rules of the board, (which are spot on, BTW) I won't ever be linking to my website, or promoting my products here. Instead, as part of my inbound marketing strategy, my purpose here is to see what questions real painters are asking about their marketing, and answer them. Doing this helps refine my services and products, and hopefully, benefits you guys as well.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you, learning from many of you, and maybe, helping some of you at the same time.

Rich Littlefield
706-273-9181

·
Administrator
19,778 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Rich. I am on the south side, Newnan. I am on Pt State and the new PWRA. I am mainly a pwasher but also do painting with another guy. Maybe I can get some good ideas from you to grow the painting side. Welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts