Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never sprayed in my life except years ago with an old Wagnor cup gun for shutters,

The builder I'm working for offered to give me a brand new Graco X5 airless that he's had sitting around for a couple of years never used. Wondering what the best use for this machine is and if I should just pick it up and try to shoot a garage or something. Maybe some new construction ceilings.?

Like I said, I never really sprayed before but am willing to give this thing a shot if the learning curve is not to bad and it will work well for what I'm trying to do.

I have a few new constructions lined up and I usually brush and roll everything.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,515 Posts
What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
What "could" it work for? Maybe a priming rig for trim or cabs I suppose, depending upon the product.
What "would" it work for? Door stop, boat anchor, the possibilities are endless really.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The X5 is too small to be really useful. If you can get it on the cheap, might be a good way to try it out, but it will probably struggle to push heavy bodied paints.

(if I could only have one spray it would be the Titan 440).
It's Free if I want it.

The only use I have would be to maybe spray some ceilings, closets and a garage with some kind of ceiling flat.

Maybe shoot some 123 primer on walls. If it can't do that well then maybe I practice doing some closets and see if I got the touch.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
It's Free if I want it.

The only use I have would be to maybe spray some ceilings, closets and a garage with some kind of ceiling flat.

Maybe shoot some 123 primer on walls. If it can't do that well then maybe I practice doing some closets and see if I got the touch.
There's a lot of uses for a small sprayer once you are comfortable using it, and the x5 might be a good place to start.

Like you said, you could spray shutters (although I wonder if it can push exterior paint??), but also small fences, great for lattice and arbors! , the random bench or lawn furniture, - Solid stain will probably really spray well out of the x5, a couple of doors (if you're wiling to experiment a little with interior paint), cabinets (using a fine finish tip). PT is great for offering advice on tips (which are pretty expensive, but you need at least a few general sizes on-hand).

It might be a little small for spraying walls and ceilings, but worth a try.

To clean, just fill a 5 gallon of clear water and start by emptying the hose back into the paint can (on low speed) until it starts all the paint is out of the hose, and starts to run water, then spray the remainder of the 5 gallon bucket until it is clear water. Should take less than 1/2 hour start to finish to clean and put away.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a lot of uses for a small sprayer once you are comfortable using it, and the x5 might be a good place to start.

Like you said, you could spray shutters (although I wonder if it can push exterior paint??), but also small fences, great for lattice and arbors! , the random bench or lawn furniture, - Solid stain will probably really spray well out of the x5, a couple of doors (if you're wiling to experiment a little with interior paint), cabinets (using a fine finish tip). PT is great for offering advice on tips (which are pretty expensive, but you need at least a few general sizes on-hand).

It might be a little small for spraying walls and ceilings, but worth a try.

To clean, just fill a 5 gallon of clear water and start by emptying the hose back into the paint can (on low speed) until it starts all the paint is out of the hose, and starts to run water, then spray the remainder of the 5 gallon bucket until it is clear water. Should take less than 1/2 hour start to finish to clean and put away.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
If your doing some new construction, there is nothing better than being able to spray your drywall primer and trims. So much faster. Although conditions have to warrant it (AKA, No floors, nobody else in the house.) I think what the boys are saying though is that the x5 is kind of a diyer sprayer. But hey, give it a go until it catches fire, then buy a new one. 😅

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,515 Posts
It's about .25 GPM, maybe half of what a Graco 395 is, and I wouldn't ever consider using a 395 on walls or ceilings unless I had to. Back in the day when I only had the 395, I'd have to spray, wait for the pump to catch up, then spray some more when doing walls or ceilings. The fingers were so bad from inadequate pressure that I almost always had to backroll. Trying to imagine that nightmare multiplied by 2 in order to visualize what the X5 would be like...yikes.
Max tip for it is .015. I wouldn't ever consider doing walls & ceilings with the X5. Best suited for small trim jobs or the like.

@Lakesidex, congrats on getting the sprayer. It isn't that I'm not excited for you. It's just trying to learn on a piece of equipment suited for a home-gamer will only be so constructive in the long run. The techniques you'll have to use for the X5 in order to achieve a satisfactory finish on anything other than small pieces will not be applicable if and when you step up to a more robust airless. Still though, kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new. I know that isn't easy, especially the more time we spend doing things a certain way. It won't be long til you kick yourself for not learning sooner. Do remember though, incorporating a sprayer will also mean having to mask much more thoroughly than you probably do now with brush & roll. Getting good at the sprayer goes hand in hand with getting good at masking IMO. Keep us posted, and ask questions along the way. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The first sprayer I ever had was a little wagner .25 GPM. It's how I learned not to be afraid of a sprayer. Good for yard barns, porch furniture, small stuff that doesn't have to be perfect. It's how I learned how to prime a sprayer and clean it out, and how to cause paint to run like it had never run before.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's about .25 GPM, maybe half of what a Graco 395 is, and I wouldn't ever consider using a 395 on walls or ceilings unless I had to. Back in the day when I only had the 395, I'd have to spray, wait for the pump to catch up, then spray some more when doing walls or ceilings. The fingers were so bad from inadequate pressure that I almost always had to backroll. Trying to imagine that nightmare multiplied by 2 in order to visualize what the X5 would be like...yikes.
Max tip for it is .015. I wouldn't ever consider doing walls & ceilings with the X5. Best suited for small trim jobs or the like.

@Lakesidex, congrats on getting the sprayer. It isn't that I'm not excited for you. It's just trying to learn on a piece of equipment suited for a home-gamer will only be so constructive in the long run. The techniques you'll have to use for the X5 in order to achieve a satisfactory finish on anything other than small pieces will not be applicable if and when you step up to a more robust airless. Still though, kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new. I know that isn't easy, especially the more time we spend doing things a certain way. It won't be long til you kick yourself for not learning sooner. Do remember though, incorporating a sprayer will also mean having to mask much more thoroughly than you probably do now with brush & roll. Getting good at the sprayer goes hand in hand with getting good at masking IMO. Keep us posted, and ask questions along the way. Good luck!
Your experience with the 395 seems quite strange. I've sprayed hundreds of gallons on walls and ceilings with a 395. The only time I ever had issues, like having to wait for the pump to catch up, is when the packings were going out. I usually run a 517 or 519 on ceilings/walls and never have had any issues with fingering etc.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
The first sprayer I ever had was a little wagner .25 GPM. It's how I learned not to be afraid of a sprayer. Good for yard barns, porch furniture, small stuff that doesn't have to be perfect. It's how I learned how to prime a sprayer and clean it out, and how to cause paint to run like it had never run before.......
“how to cause paint to run like it had never run before……”
Ain’t it so!

That’d be a good sig line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sell them. I sold paint and repaired airless sprayers for over 30 years then retired, and now I work at Lowe's, so I sell these. It's really a DIY machine, but pros have been known to use them. I tell any contractor I'm talking with that wants to buy one that it will work and get the job done, however, it is a DIY machine. It's cheaper than renting though if you use it for a few jobs before you move up to a contractor grade sprayer, like a 395, or a Titan 440, or better. As long as you don't try to put too big of a tip on it—since it can only push out about a quart a minute—it will spray most acrylic and oil coating used in residential work without lagging. It's not going to spray an elastomeric of course, but anything that will go through a 15 tip can be sprayed with this pump. The gun and tips are cheaper versions than the Contractor and RAC tips sold in specialty shops, and it doesn't really pay to rebuild the guns when they break. Still though, cheaper than renting and if you got one for free, it's a great deal!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe keep it specifically for solvent/oil use just because cleaning oil out of a sprayer is a lot of work, and residue of oil based paint or even thinner left in sprayers where you'd shoot latex out of them after ends up causing problems. Bonus is oil is thinner, too. Of course maybe use it a little at first for spraying latex just to learn a bit how to spray, and then retire it to oil once you get a nicer sprayer.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Maybe keep it specifically for solvent/oil use just because cleaning oil out of a sprayer is a lot of work, and residue of oil based paint or even thinner left in sprayers where you'd shoot latex out of them after ends up causing problems. Bonus is oil is thinner, too. Of course maybe use it a little at first for spraying latex just to learn a bit how to spray, and then retire it to oil once you get a nicer sprayer.
Ive heard you should not run anything flammable through magnums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts