Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to Graco, you can use Magnums with mineral spirit based products, but not with any other type of hotter solvent. I believe it's mainly because of the open motor. The Magnums are similar to the old Amspray design. I think Graco purchased them in the late 90s when Graco and Wagner were buying up every other manufacturer. Check the user manual for verification before you use solvents on any machine though.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
According to Graco, you can use Magnums with mineral spirit based products, but not with any other type of hotter solvent. I believe it's mainly because of the open motor. The Magnums are similar to the old Amspray design. I think Graco purchased them in the late 90s when Graco and Wagner were buying up every other manufacturer. Check the user manual for verification before you use solvents on any machine though.
As shown in the picture I woulnt run anything solvent based through those pumps, if the packings go then it will spray solvent material all over the electrical bits. In addition I had one the motor decided to catch fire. Just a big nope from me

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Ive never tested it, but how flammable is mineral spirits anyway? For curiosities sake, not that Im gonna argue running it through a magnum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As shown in the picture I woulnt run anything solvent based through those pumps, if the packings go then it will spray solvent material all over the electrical bits. In addition I had one the motor decided to catch fire. Just a big nope from me
I had contractors that used to use the Amsprays for oil all the time without incident. the only time I heard of one catching on fire was when a painter used it to spray a xylene based concrete stain, and even then, the fumes were set off from a spark from the motor brushes before there was a packing failure. Mineral sprits are much harder to ignite though compared to xylene, and a lot of it is probably because the mineral spirits fumes are heavier than air, so they aren't gong to go toward the motor in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I had contractors that used to use the Amsprays for oil all the time without incident. the only time I heard of one catching on fire was when a painter used it to spray a xylene based concrete stain, and even then, the fumes were set off from a spark from the motor brushes before there was a packing failure. Mineral sprits are much harder to ignite though compared to xylene, and a lot of it is probably because the mineral spirits fumes are heavier than air, so they aren't gong to go toward the motor in a well ventilated area.
Ok yeah but I had one catch on fire just priming it with water so.... Use at your own risk.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Read in the voice to the song War...

X5 Magnum,huh, yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, uhh
X5 Magnum, huh, yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
X5 Magnum, huh (good God)
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me, oh

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Graco X7 Magnum that I bought to spray the cabinets I produce. I used it once. It felt like I was using a runaway freight train. I switched to HVLP 4-stage system and I have been using it ever since.

I painted a bathroom (walls and ceiling) with the X7 and it did OK. So I've used it twice in 2 years. A lousy investment.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts