Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions on how to put some life back in this forum ?

Reactions: DavidK

·
Administrator
128 Posts
Hey guys,

There are a few things that we could try in order to bring some traffic back on the site. A few suggestions come to mind like a monthly contest or paid subscriptions with perks like badges, less ads, ect. We're open to other suggestions, but before we can move ahead and implement any changes, we'll have to discuss them with the mod team to see what their thoughts are on the subject. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know and I'll check with the team to see if they are okay with it.

~Sheena

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
Let homeowners and non pros ask questions. Don't **** em down u know. Their threads. Maybe move it to a DIY type section, 'ask the pro's or whatever'

Lift the ban on pricing discussions. One of the biggest things people who are trying to 'start up' are oblivious to is what to charge.

Let those who choose to fight, bicker, verbally assault each other go at it. No redactions. Real crowd pleaser. That will keep em in their seats.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Less ads, better mobile support...

Those are 2 huge things right there.

Spend that ad $$ on an app, beef up the rewards system (and make it available for the app)

We've only been asking (and ignored) for an app for years. I used to be fairly active at the contractor talk forum until Tapatalk stopped working...If it stops working here I will dissappear as well.

This site is a graveyard because the owners have ignored the members pleas...

They insult our intelligence with a ridiculous rewards system, tried to do giveaways based on popularity (contractor of the month anyone), and not so random drawing (ever notice the best answer won all the time, not a random answer?!)

The owners don't WANT us here, they want the ad revenue. ..and here we are folks.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How to bring people into a discussion?

Start a thread about what's wrong with or what's changed for the worse on PT :whistling2:

Reactions: DrakeB

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Based on the complaints, I think the site has to develop a specific identity that clearly conveys what type of service it is.

1. Is it a social site that allows for all of the personal intricacies that go along with a free social site, without constant censorship in exchange for ads.

2. Is it strictly a professional site that allows little tolerance for social intricacies, in favor of business related issues only, including pricing and product review at a subscription fee?

3. Or is it a combination of both that can somehow accommodate everyone effectively?

It seems to me that the issue is not one of offering gimmiks that will draw in viewers and participants, but rather of members having a sense of being a real stakeholder in this forum, allowing them to receive respect and recognition regardless of personal status, and without the rejection and dismissal felt by many.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I think we need to allot more rewards points per post, then double for starting a discussion, and point awarded for members responding to the thread you started... just give me more stuff...... i think Ca just wants a coffe mug.... i would like one too plus lots of points

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I really want PT to thrive as a place painters, of all levels, can go and share something they may have in common. And sometimes, I'm very conscientious about contributing too much nonsense while trying to be funny and entertaining. But I would gladly pry myself away from PT if it meant leaving room for more relevent subject matter as it relates to painting contractors and the business at hand. If that's what the majority of members want.

I think the original intent of PT offered an interesting mix of personalities, procedures, policies, and how different they could be across the board. For better or for worse. That was during a time when discussions were energized by the audacity, arrogance, and brilliance displayed by many members who essentially, were all new during the wild pioneering days of PT. Unfortunately, tenure, familularity, and civility gave way to complacency and mediocrity.

Now, we seem to find ourselves picking through the peeled shells of a ten year party, looking for that one peanut of relevency and spark.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
This is for you people who have been here for a long time. Just how dead is this place compared to, say, five years ago?

Could it be we are in a lull, a normal thing, and things will pick up as I assume they always have?
Political discussions, as it related to the housing collapse, Obama, and the Occupy Wallstreet movement, are no longer as relevent as they once were. The energy of opinions emoted by member's regarding those subjects, were unlike anything you could have experienced anywhere, unless you were actually in the streets exchanging projectiles with riot police. These discussions provided passionate interest during the painting lulls for many members, in my opinion.

Unfortunately today, politics is a non starter. The presidential competition has already been determined without much fuss. The hatred for ISIS, and every other facist group has been spewed beyond reproach. All that is left, is to turn on ourselves.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Speaking of which, the sun is LONNNNG under the yardarm and the 6:00 snoooze is almost on. Gotta go see what the thugs on the streets and bimbos on the poles are doing.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Just wait till February. I suspect things will change when cabin fever sets in.
That being said, I'm sure the management here can talk about the migration of forum membership ( in general) to FB. A number of us here have become friends on FB and those relationships have carried over to the painter FB pages. Sometimes I can't even remember WHERE a particular discussion occurred until I give it a little more thought. It all blends in after awhile.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
That being said, I'm sure the management here can talk about the migration of forum membership ( in general) to FB. A number of us here have become friends on FB and those relationships have carried over to the painter FB pages. Sometimes I can't even remember WHERE a particular discussion occurred until I give it a little more thought. It all blends in after awhile.
Good God, we don't need another painter forum, blog, page, group, conference,..... i have been turning off notifications and got rid of a buch of friends on FB.... now the stupid memes coming out....

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.